Electroplating - a dummies guide

Talk about E-Types here

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#21 Re: Electroplating - a dummies guide

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm

I've been using the Gateros plating kit for a few years now. Over time the electrolyte level had gone down significantly, so I decided to buy a new batch.
Unfortunately once I'd set this up, complete with new power supply, I've been unable to get anything to plate.
This is despite heating the electrolyte to 32 degrees and agitating it while plating. Each time I try to plate anything it ends up being covered in green deposits like the bolt shown below.

Before changing the electrolyte I was plating pretty consistently. Any ideas?
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#22 Re: Electroplating - a dummies guide

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:32 am

Well I thought it would be useful to update this thread. The problem I was having was using copper wire to hang the anodes in the electrolyte. This then dissolved when current was applied and ended up covering the items to be plated in green barnacles!
I also tried stainless steel but it dissolved as well. In the end I bought new titanium wire and did a plate out with three sizeable pieces of metal. This involves leaving the process on overnight at a very low current. The results were pretty dramatic:-

After this the plating has been very successful. So in short only use titanium wire to hang your anodes.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#23 Re: Electroplating - a dummies guide

Post by max-it-out » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:27 am

Looks like something from my local Chinese takeaway :mrgreen:
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster