Rain?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#1 Rain?

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:18 pm

So, Do you drive your cars in the rain? I don't, and I won't. Now don't get me wrong here. My car is a driver, not a garage queen. But it is a very nice condition driver. It still gets lots of attention at shows and cruise in's I will drive it anywhere. I raced it for yrs, and wooped the crap out of it. I will go to the grocery store and run errands. My old driveway was 700' of gravel. who cares. But as an old body and paint guy, I don't want to get it wet. classic cars and water = rust. Especially Jags. I won't even wash it with a garden hose. The water gets in where you can't dry it. I have worked on too many rusty cars. Mine won't end up like that. I have had my jag for 40 yrs. and still no rust. You UK drivers might be the exception. What do you get, Like 3 days a year without rain...LOL just kidding. So am I nuts and alone on this subject?... Jim
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6
1961 corvair rampside Pick up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rain?

Post by Series1 Stu » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:58 pm

You're definitely nuts. Sadly, on this forum, you're not alone.

:drinkingcheers:
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Rain?

Post by abowie » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:57 am

The wipers actually make visibility worse, so I avoid rain.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#4 Re: Rain?

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 am

I actually removed my wiper arms from my car. Don't need em, and car looks better without them. I do have rainx on windshield for bugs and emergency use.
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6
1961 corvair rampside Pick up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#5 Re: Rain?

Post by Allrand » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:00 am

I must be nuts too, don't want to get it wet, want to keep it nice, don't want water marks on polished aliminium covers, mud & grit in wheel arches a pain to clean off. :cry:
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#6 Re: Rain?

Post by paydase » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:59 am

Same nuts here.
Especially on an old, preserved, non rust/treated car where rust will run inside seams and cavities (thinking especially of my 61 spot welded bonnet flanges).
Would be different on a nuts and bolts restored car where steel has been correctfully protected everywhere.
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rain?

Post by malcolm » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:24 am

I try to avoid heavy rain where possible, but on a weekend away (or even harder a two week trip) you can’t avoid rain so it doesn’t bother me. If you want to drive lots in the U.K., you have to put up with rain
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#8 Re: Rain?

Post by Simon P » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:21 am

Agreed. If you discounted all the days in the UK when it either rains, or simply that the roads are wet, you'd never go out. Even on a beautiful hot sunny day, with no rain forecast, Sod's Law says a thunderstorm gets triggered off and you get caught in a torrential downpour (ask me how I know....). And even on those ultra rare times when there hasn't been rain for days, it goes without saying that you'll go round a corner and discover that the road is flooded because of a pipe-burst :doh:

It's not too bad though. The sight of rain beading over an E-type's bonnet is one of life's great pleasures, and the clean-down required afterwards gives you an excuse to get intimately acquainted with all the components that go to make up your pride and joy.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rain?

Post by DWW » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm

The only problem is the rain water drips through the bonnet louvers onto the hot manifolds and ruins the ceramic coating on them.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: Rain?

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:45 pm

I’ve quoted this before but let’s include it again :wink: Denis Jenks Jenkinson was known to say that any car with enamel still on the manifold reflected a driver who wasn’t driving the car positively enough. This from a man who regarded 4000 as a good cruise RPM and who regularly took them up to and over 5000 :bigrin:

Rain-x does a fine job, and remembering our first drive when we collected our car included a long drive in heavy rain the wipers did a decent job.
And agreeing with Simon P, water beading off the bonnet is a great reminder to look at that long bonnet ahead of you and appreciate why we love the E so much.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#11 Re: Rain?

Post by DWW » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:56 pm

I would have thought someone would come up with a solution to deflect the dripping away from the manifold in the shape of some sort of stainless shield....maybe running to the length of the engine above the manifold with brackets bolting to the valve cover acorns....
Danny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Rain?

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:38 pm

Or get rid of the louvres :lol:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#13 Re: Rain?

Post by chrisfell » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:03 pm

Yup, my car goes out in the rain, but never on salty roads. And the car gets wet, sometimes very wet. My wipers work, new rubbers when they get hard helps a lot. The screen de mister works even though the fan is OE, and the rear window de mister also works. And I always carry a towel in the car, just in case it rains.

The screen leaks a bit, water dribbles from the passenger side bottom corner. The doors leak a bit leaving a trail of water along the sills. Both these sources of water are dealt with while driving using the towel. The rear window used to leak, but I’ve sealed it with some mastic. And water gets through the bonnet louvres onto my usually highly polished cam covers and carbs, leaving marks when the water dries off. Water also dribbles down the headlamp covers and into the sugar scoops.

After a run in the wet, the car is always ragged off before being put to bed. Outer paint surface, and water in the door openings, and under the bonnet. I may also spray a little WD40 (other brands are available) around the wire wheels. Sometime over the following day or so I’ll clean the wheels, maybe off the car, maybe on. I’ll polish the paint work, and the alloy under the bonnet. If the wet run has been long, I may have to lift the carpets and underlay and let them dry out.

The tracks of water under the headlamp covers and on the sugar scoops is usually only dealt with if I am going to show the car. And any dirt under the wheel arches if left until just before I apply the car’s annual coat of waxoyl (again other brands are available).
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david.coan
Great Britain

#14 Re: Rain?

Post by david.coan » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:10 pm

Definitely not if i can avoid it. My s1.5 ots has been stuck inside since the start of December, i like to drive it every 2-3 weeks over winter, but its been poor run of wet weather here in Berkshire in UK…hopefully get her out soon.
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#15 Re: Rain?

Post by DWW » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:14 pm

You must be running a water re-cycling plant back there :lol:
Danny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#16 Re: Rain?

Post by Allrand » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:41 am

Why are your carpets & underlays getting wet?
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

flatfloor 3.8
Great Britain

#17 Re: Rain?

Post by flatfloor 3.8 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:09 pm

Afraid my car has no idea what rain is.
Bill S1 3.8 OTS.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#18 Re: Rain?

Post by chrisfell » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:54 am

Allrand wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:41 am
Why are your carpets & underlays getting wet?
Because I drive it in the rain? Rain is something of a fact of life here in Blighty.

As for the car, there are holes through which water gets. I know it shouldn’t be, but there are holes. Miss-aligned panels and doors, crumbling seals etc, all contribute.

I’m sure if I had the car stripped and de-rusted, I could rebuild the body such that all the panels and the doors lined up correctly, and with new rubbers everywhere that rain water could be kept out of the cabin at all times. But I won’t, not yet, and not while I still enjoy driving this ancient, poorly cared for (in its early years), ugly sister of an E-Type. I’ll live with its rattles and shakes, its slightly ill-fitting doors, its perished seals. I’ll live with it for at least one more year.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#19 Re: Rain?

Post by Herzeg » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:24 am

Chris

I fully agree. I have an OTS with a new hood fitted five years ago by a well known company. Despite returning it for adjustments, it leaks badly. I drive the car all year round and was out on christmas eve and new years day in it. Courtesy of Moss Jaguar, I have heated MX5 seats, wrap up warm and drive it in any weather. My only no-no is salt on the road.

It's old, use it and enjoy it. So many others out there enjoy seeing it. Why lock it wawy like a trailer queen, I didn;t buy it as one.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RICHOT
Great Britain

#20 Re: Rain?

Post by RICHOT » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm

I prefer not to take my S1 out in the rain, but having taken it to S.Africa twice, USA three times, Canada and virtually all over Europe, I (we, wife included) have experienced our fair share of rain!

It does leak - under the doors but mainly through the hood/windscreen join and no matter how it is adjusted and various different rubber seals used, it still leaks.
My remedy -- wide sellotape across the top of the screen and the chrome finisher on the front of the hood frame - works a treat!! (I have a roll of it permanently in the boot!). The rain makes quite a noise when it hits the stretched sellotape! Its invisible to onlookers (who may be out in the rain!) and easily stripped off when not needed.
1950 XK120
1965 S1 E Type DHC
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera cabriolet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic