#1 cigar lighter Caution
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:46 am
Wot a day !!!!
set off for a bit of lunch, nice day,
managed about 1/2 mile, Then clouds of smoke from behind the dash
PANIC,
I droppped the centre section (thankfully mine does come down)
to be greeted with lots of sparks and smoke.
dissconnected the battery manged to get home.
(back to the daily driver the wife wasn't missing lunch out!)
The problem was the earth lead to the cigar lighter, which terminates on a spade. located on the bulkhead behind where the speedo/tacho are, it had dropped off onto the steering column support ,causing a poor earth, which in turn damaged the insulation causing a short circuit in the dash loom,
which I am now having to replace, and thankfully not the whole car!!
set off for a bit of lunch, nice day,
managed about 1/2 mile, Then clouds of smoke from behind the dash
PANIC,
I droppped the centre section (thankfully mine does come down)
to be greeted with lots of sparks and smoke.
dissconnected the battery manged to get home.
(back to the daily driver the wife wasn't missing lunch out!)
The problem was the earth lead to the cigar lighter, which terminates on a spade. located on the bulkhead behind where the speedo/tacho are, it had dropped off onto the steering column support ,causing a poor earth, which in turn damaged the insulation causing a short circuit in the dash loom,
which I am now having to replace, and thankfully not the whole car!!