Best car cover?

Talk about E-Types here

mgcjag
Great Britain

#21 Re: Best car cover?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 am

Automotive topcoats are supposed to be waterproof....micro blisters are caused by moisture being trapped during the painting process.......A cover does not cause moisture to get under the paint ......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lopena
United States of America

#22 Re: Best car cover?

Post by lopena » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 pm

I agree with Johnaz (post #18)...the Form-Fit car covers from Covercraft are soft, thin and breathable, just like a nice pair of knickers:

I’ve used them for many years on several collector cars with no damage whatsoever.

Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

splosh
Great Britain

#23 Re: Best car cover?

Post by splosh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:58 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 am
Automotive topcoats are supposed to be waterproof....micro blisters are caused by moisture being trapped during the painting process.......A cover does not cause moisture to get under the paint ......Steve
What painting process?. The last previous time the car was painted was 1986 at the factory. The micro blistering occurred in 2017 ---- some 31 years later after the first time the car was covered with a car cover. Fact !
Clive
August 1961 Flat floor ots

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

eddiecross
Great Britain

#24 Re: Best car cover?

Post by eddiecross » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm

Not a car cover but....I have been using the zip up Permabag for a number of years for storing cars in an old stable block with limited access to electricity. I put in a de-humidifier in the bag and run for a few hours a week for the 1st few weeks of storage.

The car in the bag currently (69 CJ Mustang) gave up about 2 pints of water initially and then stabilised at about 25% humidity and stayed pretty much the same over the past few months. Running up the de-humidifier for an hour or two can quickly get the humidity down to 10%. That's pretty dry.

Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#25 Re: Best car cover?

Post by christopher storey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:14 am
Sorry, Steve, I must respectfully disagree. You are correct that moisture within the paint process can lead to microblisters, but an equally well recognised problem is the production of micro blisters from moisture being absorbed by the covers from the atmosphere , then lying against the surface for prolonged periods . The paint structures are ( relatively speaking )complex and sometimes long chain organic molecules whereas H2O is a very small molecule which can easily infiltrate itself through the gaps .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#26 Re: Best car cover?

Post by max-it-out » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:23 pm

If moisture can actually penetrate the paint and primer layers , then why don`t all cars get microblisters when left out over Winter ?

On a side note - I use Autoglym resin polish which leaves a tough water repellant surface on the paintwork-I doubt any moisture could penetrate this , so maybe its the solution to car-cover-induced-microblistering :policeblue:
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#27 Re: Best car cover?

Post by christopher storey » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:28 am

max-it-out wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:23 pm
If moisture can actually penetrate the paint and primer layers , then why don`t all cars get microblisters when left out over Winter ?
Because it is the retention of moisture against the paint by a cover which is the very damaging factor. A car open to the elements naturally gets wet and dries again, and there is continuous air circulation round it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#28 Re: Best car cover?

Post by max-it-out » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Yes , I understand the point you are making about air circulation , however , I am still skeptical about the issue. Let me give you an example :
We have an old Volvo which has been parked in the corner of the yard.It`s not been washed for years and has moss growing in many of it`s nooks and crannies.It has been out in the open for 25 years.There is no sign of microblisters on the paintwork.
I think if moisture was able to penetrate paintwork , it would have done so by now.

Side note - there`s no rust on it either-amazingly well built cars :yellow:
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic