Interior kits...is it worth it?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
redranch

#1 Interior kits...is it worth it?

Post by redranch » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:53 pm

The black interior on my 71 V12 is too far gone to restore, so the question is...do I have to re-trimmed it by a reputable trimmer or there a good source out there for an interior kit...and are the kits any good these days.

Any pointers in the right direction would be great and sorry if it's been answered before but I'm new to the E-Type world.

Thanks

Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Peter

I can recommend Suffolk & Turley who will either trim the car for you (about ?5,000) or they will supply you with a kit so you can do it yourself. It will be complete with seat covers, foams, hardura, vinyl, ambla, felts and carpets. Trimming an E-Type is not that difficult although the headlining in a FHC can be a challenge - needs two people. It really depends on your budget and how quickly you want it done. Eric Suffolk has about a 8 week lead time before he can take the car in and then allow another four weeks to have it completed.

Others who supply kits are Mick Turley at MCT (who will also install), John Skinner and one or two more if you dig around. If you have a trimmer locally then buy a kit (they are really superb) and get him to install it.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm

I think that a 2+2 may be heading towards ?6500 to be professionally re-trimmed with the three part rear seats. I was quoted ?5500 for my coupe?plus tax, which I guess you wouldn?t have to pay.

If the leatherwork isn?t split, it may be re-conditioned and treated so that it comes back looking better than new?retaining the patina of age. The leather can be cleaned, softened and re-dyed back to the original colour. Without doubt the padding and webbing will need replacing though. If you can save the leather and fit the easy bits yourself you will save a huge amount....the seats and the centre console are the bits that a professional trimmer really has to do. You can buy all the carpets, door cards, side trims, cant rail trims and rear deck trim separately, and without the seats and centre consol would cost about ?1200 - ?1500. And they are all very easy to fit yourself.

Have a look at these guys:

http://www.leather-renovation.co.uk/home.htm

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic