Page 1 of 6

#1 Insurance

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:58 pm
by Malk
Perhaps I should have searched first but guessing now and again people find a sensible insurer?

Footman James just sent me a renewal up 40% on last year...... ?210 to ?295. I'm over 40, no accidents, its garaged on 5000miles a year and ?200 excess and live in Hertfordshire so all sensible.

Any ideas and what are people paying?

M.

#2

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:04 pm
by MarekH
Look at Chaucer or Sureterm Direct.
I think I paid about ?125 last time.

kind regards
Marek

#3

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:09 pm
by Heuer
Some more suggestions here:

http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =insurance

FJ are now owned by AON and they are no longer a pleasure to deal with.

#4

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm
by JEP41
Hi All,

Like Malk I have just received a renewal notice from Footman James also up from ?571 to ?690 (three vehicles). I called them and told them I would be shopping around before accepting that increase

#5

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 pm
by Malk
Online now, had cheaper quotes online ?274. The Sureterm site is going around and around and seems to have got stuck.

Can't we do a group insurance and insure all our cars on one policy via the E Type Club? :)

I'm confident I can improve via my business and fleet insurers, will advise what I get offered.

Malcolm.

#6

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:49 pm
by Malk
Highway ?185.00 looks pretty sensible. Think they are Lloyds syndicate is only downside but chances of using I guess on classic policy minimal!

#7

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm
by SESH
I paid ?95 at last renewal for my E Type OTS series 3 V12. With Sureterm Direct. 3000 miles per year with agreed value of ?50k.
Mike

#8

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 pm
by Malk
It came out at ?325! Will call in morning. Computers......... 3 points May 2009 just 1month from not counting is a shame!

#9

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 am
by Heuer
As this is of interest to everyone I will make it a 'sticky' so it will be easy to find.

#10

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:19 am
by Malk
Towergate are seeing what they can do but best is Highway at ?185.00 on 4000miles with ?200 excess

James Blackwell from JEC suggested Peter James who quoted ?305 without JEC membership and ?190 with. Shame ETC doesnt fall under their discount policy but guess many members have dual membership at ?36 and this quote INCLUDES European breakdown cover

I'm sure we could get a broker to run a Club Policy with someone and see what they can do. Perhaps Towergate are large enough if Footman James getting expensive now.......

Either way I can greatly improve the ?300 renewal.

#11

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 am
by Heuer
I believe Footman James was set up by Peter James before he sold it on and set up again.

#12

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 am
by Malk
Understand. Okay thats why they are actually fairly sensible - except someone needs to get him to understand there is very little diff between an JEC member and ETC member!!! One fro Philip to sort or Louise???!

Malcolm

#13

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:43 am
by Heuer
Suggest you email the Club directly although I suspect they have an arrangement with Adrian Flux and RH Cherished Classic Insurance.

#14

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 am
by Malk
Flux ?240 and beaten a broker down to ?180.00 exactly with Highway so that's the route I'm going as Towergate haven't bothered coming back!

Interesting exercise how it can go from ?210 to nearly ?300 then land at ?180! mad times.

#15

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 am
by Heuer
My Range Rover Sport went from ?720 (Elephant) to ?230 (Swiftcover) last month.

#16

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 pm
by JEP41
Shopping around for insurance today I settled on Hagerty. Firstly they felt I was undervaluing my cars and increased the cover substantially but came in at ?631 for the E-Type, C-Type recreation and MKII under one policy (?60 less that quoted by FJ and with the car values increased by 100%). At Hagerty's I delt with Charlie Patterson who was very helpful and knowledgable on Classics. :D

#17

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm
by JEP41
While hunting for cover today I called Adrian Flux and found they go to Hagerty for quotes. When I eventually selected Hagerty they told me they had just quoted on my cars for an Agent at Adrian Flux?

#18

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 pm
by Bob Falfa
S2 2+2, 3,000 miles, agreed value, garaged

Adrian Flux ?145
Footman James ?248
Heritage Motor from Norton Insurance ?162
Lancaster ?195

Others were higher. Many offered free breakdown cover, which I didn't want (I have AA membership already), and the free breakdown cover from insurance companies that I've had in the past was disappointing.

I've found insurance companies increase their renewals year on year due to "rising insurance costs." I switch nearly every year to keep prices down. Flux have won my business regularly as they have promised to beat any written quotation. Also got continental cover thrown in.

#19

Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:07 pm
by kingzetts
Not directly relevant to E-types, but I changed my daily driver from a 2005 BMW M3 CS (E46 model) to a 1991 Porsche 944 turbo last month, and my (ex)insurers wanted to increase my premium from ?350/yr to over ?1,000/year - for a car worth less than half as much and with less power and less performance! I went back to Swiftcover who I used to be with and who my wife is with and got it down to ?300 or so.

Just insured my OTS via Carole Nash at ?280 who came in cheaper than Footman James at ?310. This is for 3,000 miles, agreed value, garaged. Not a big saving but I did get them to add commuting to the policy so I can drive in to my office occasionally when the sun is shining.

I could get it quite a bit cheaper if I didn't include my wife whose record is less squeaky-clean than mine!

Interesting to note the range of premiums people are geting quoted. Some of this at least must reflect the different levels of agreed value with some cars (S1 OTS, S1 FHC) perhaps needing substantially higher agreed values than some of the other models.

#20

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:43 pm
by Tony
Just had my renewal quote from Carol Nash. ?259/year including AA Euro breakdown, 3000 miles, ?200 excess , Agreed valuation 70k. 3 points in last 5 years MW10

Adrian Flux quoted ?269. Close but not worth changing.