Replacement seats

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
skodajag
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: 222
Great Britain

#1 Replacement seats

Post by skodajag » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 pm

I'd very much welcome your suggestions for fitting some replacement seats in my Series II coupe. The standard items aren't at all bad but I'd like something that (i) gives more side support, and support in the small of the back and higher up the back (ii) don't require too much work to fit and allow easy replacement of the originals and (iii) look OK - ie not hideously out of place (iv) aren't stupidly expensive. Presumably some of you with early series 1 cars will have been down this road...Thanks! Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


1954Etype
Moderator
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:32 pm
Contact:
Great Britain

#2

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 pm

have you read the MX5 seat replacement threads on the forum?
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
skodajag
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: 222
Great Britain

#3

Post by skodajag » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks - I've just been reading it now - invaluable!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

skiday
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:43 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

#4

Post by skiday » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm going to stick with my original seats now that I have had some padding added in the small of the back, which has worked well, but for a long time I though about MGF seats. The earlier MGF seats with the rounded top look just right for the e-type and they can be easily recovered in leather. Just compare pictures of the MGs and the Mazdas together and the MGs are so much more in keeping, they almost look like jag items. You would have to do some fabrication to get them in, but I'm sure it must be possible. They are very comfortable and supportive and, unlike the mx5 seats, they do not have a solid metal base under the seat foam but a membrane like the e-type originals. This might not matter if you have a well padded bum, but for a bony arse like mine, it makes all the difference.
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic