Page 1 of 1

#1 Why is my avatar so big

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 pm
by Tony
I have tried to put on a new avatar and it has come over very large. I am using photo bucket as the host.Image

#2

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 pm
by Tony
Having no joy loading up my avatar from photobucket. The forum comes up with Debug Mode line 251.

I have resized the picture and using the direct link to photobucket. I have also tied to choose file from my computer but it loads a blank image.

Any ideas?

#3

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:47 am
by Heuer
Hi Tony

We are having some problems with avatars since we moved servers although your problem is different I think. You need to put your chosen avatar photo on Photobucket and link to it using the Photobucket 'Direct Link' address (not the [Img] type address used in posts). Test it by putting the link into your browser address bar and hitting enter - you should see a blank page with just your small avatar on display. Paste the same link into your profile in the ' link to off site avatar' or the 'upload from URL' (can't remember which, try both). Photo needs to be no more than 200x200 pixels and 15k in size. Use photo editing software to make it so otherwise it will fail.

Some people have lost theirs (shows a a little square in their post rather than a picture). I need to look into it but we are in Mauritius so it will have to wait until I rerun. On a positive note it is a constant and balmy 29 C here, no doubt very similar to Britain 8)

Sent from my iLounger

#4

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 am
by Tony
Thanks David, I will keep trying. It's a balmy -1 with 50mm of snow here. Are we the lucky ones

#5

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:24 pm
by 38E
Tony wrote:Having no joy loading up my avatar from photobucket. The forum comes up with Debug Mode line 251.

I have resized the picture and using the direct link to photobucket. I have also tied to choose file from my computer but it loads a blank image.

Any ideas?
I lost my own avatar trying to change the photo in the normal way. It wouldn't upload driectly from my computer as it had before.

However, David's suggestion appears to work. Just open your selected photo in photobucket or whatever, left click on the HTML code box to copy its url and paste that into the "Link to off-site Avatar" box in your profile.

If my new avatar shows up here, it works. :D

#6

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 pm
by Tony
Hi 38E

It just keeps stating the remote of the URL is not valid. Either photobucket is not working or our forum site has a bug. I think I have tried everything now.

I have even tried to put my old avatar on from photobucket but it still does not work.

I seem to be able to put the picture in the body of the post but not the avatar. See below

Image

#7

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:27 pm
by vrracing
That picture looks a LOT bigger than 200x200 pixels. It's actually 1024x768. The limit is 200 not 2000. :D

In Photobucket you can Edit the picture, Resize it so the largest dimension is 200 pixels, and save it as a copy. Be sure you select the smaller version when you get the link.

If that still doesnt work, then the file size is probably too big. Photobucket doesnt let you know the file size which can be a problem. You can download the small version to your PC/Mac and from there check the file size which cannot exceed 15k. Even a 200x200 pixel image can easily exceed 15k in size at anything more than 50% quality for the JPG. And then upload it to the Avatar or upload it back to Photobucket and direct link it from there.

No matter the reason (corrupt file, >200px, >15k, bad link) the forum will just barf with an unhelpful response.

If your file is still >15k in size you can use Paint.NET on the PC or iPhoto on the Mac to reduce the JPG quality. At that size the quality doesnt matter very much since you aren't trying to blow it up and print a poster.

that should get your file uploaded without any barfing. However, you may have a broken link icon for an avatar. But that is a bug in the forum.

Hope that helps.

#8

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:50 pm
by 38E
vrracing wrote:
If your file is still >15k in size you can use Paint.NET on the PC or iPhoto on the Mac to reduce the JPG quality. At that size the quality doesnt matter very much since you aren't trying to blow it up and print a poster.
Yes, that's exactly what I did (since I only have a laptop with me here so can't use my regular photo editor).

Just open the selected photo in Paint, then use the percentage size reduction feature until you get it small enough to be accepted.

#9

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 pm
by Tony
Hi

This pictures was to show I could get pictures from Photobucket. The ones I tried to use for my avatar were resized below to 15k and below to 100 pixels. I tried both from Paintnet and Photobucket without success.

I will get it right one day

#10

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm
by vrracing
You have successfully loaded an avatar picture, Tony. You can tell because it is showing the broken link icon instead.

Mine was doing the same but I put the Photobucket Direct Link into the Link to off-site Avatar field and it worked.

#11

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 pm
by Tony
Ok Guys

I now have my avatar back. Next thing is how do you get the larger one like some of you have?

#12

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 am
by vrracing
Weird, Tony. On my screen (Chrome on Win7) your avatar is 2.5 times larger than everyone else's.

#13

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:13 am
by Heuer
Far too big Tony, it is screwing up the formatting of any threads you post in. Please try again. You can use Picasa to export the picture at 200x200 pixels and then put that into you profile.

#14

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:13 am
by Tony
The avatar at my end was only 150 at its widest. I have now set it to 200 and it has gone small. My end now looks about right. I hope so anyway.
Apologise for any problems coursed. Let me know if it is looking to big at your end.

#15

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 am
by Mark Gordon
Does this car make my avatar look big? :wink:

#16

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 am
by Tony
Mark, what are you suggesting? :D

#17

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm
by Heuer
Working OK at this end Tony!

#18

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:36 pm
by Mark Gordon
Tony, I have no idea what you mean.