Chrome Plating Prices

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
malky1965
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 am
Location: South Wales UK
Wales

#1 Chrome Plating Prices

Post by malky1965 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 am

I went to the Classic Car Show at the NEC yesterday and spoke to some Platers while I was there,

S&T Chrome Plating from Bristol quoted for a series 3 OTS rear bumper as follows,
RH & LH rear bumber corner sections were ?165 each plus VAT triple plate,
Rear centre section ?140 plus VAT triple plate

I thought this was quite steep ?

I then spoke to Castle Chrome from the West Midlands and they quoted as follows
RH & LH rear bumper corner sections wer ?100 each plus VAT triple plate,
Rear centre section was ?65 plus VAT triple plate.

Both had nice examples of there work on show but then I suppose they would,

I thought Castle prices seemed very reasonable but I would like some feedback from other owners who have had this done and also has anyone ever had any dealings with Castle Chrome from West Midlands?

Regards
Malcolm
73 E Type Manual V12 Roadster, 73 E TYPE Auto V12 COUPE, 61 JAGUAR MK2 3.8, 89 Porsche 944 :Scotland:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#2

Post by ChrisC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am

As a general guide... I found re-plating was about 75% of the cost of buying the item new - however if the part is original then you know it fits which is especially important for bumpers and lights...

I a pretty sure all Chrome is triple plated : nickel-copper-chrome so thats not really a selling point or a sign of quality :) but companies can reduce costs by giving you a thinner coating of each layer and perhaps doing less polishing.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Dave K
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Great Britain

#3

Post by Dave K » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Malc,

I put every part of my car through S&T in Bristol, very expensive but a top quality outfit and excellent results on every part. Nothing lost, twisted or bent.
They took the time to show me around and how they do their work plus the environmental conditions they have to work under and how they comply. Very professional.

They also coat the inner unseen parts of the chrome plating they have done to prevent any future corrosion forming.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Richard2293
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 am
Location: Leicesterhire UK
Great Britain

#4

Post by Richard2293 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Got my Series 3 rear bumpers back from Derby Platers this week , ?750 (inc vat) including the overiders. Looks a good job, they have done all my chroming on previous cars , TR6 bumpers are now 7 years old and still look like new. Highly recommended.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


PeterM
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: Scotland

#5

Post by PeterM » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Malcolm I have used castle chrome and they occasionally need a gentle prod regards promised timescales for returning the goods but I have always been happy with there work,
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

1963 OTS, Nearly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#6

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 pm

ChrisC wrote:I a pretty sure all Chrome is triple plated : nickel-copper-chrome so thats not really a selling point or a sign of quality :) but companies can reduce costs by giving you a thinner coating of each layer and perhaps doing less polishing.
Copper-nickel-chrome, FWIW . Copper for thickness and corrosion-resistance (like high-build etch primer), followed by a good polish (like block-sanding primer) and then nickel for colour and hardness (like top coat) and finally chrome for brightness/protection (like tinted clear coat).

Something like that anyway...

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
malky1965
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 am
Location: South Wales UK
Wales

#7

Post by malky1965 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:35 am

Dave K wrote:Malc,

I put every part of my car through S&T in Bristol, very expensive but a top quality outfit and excellent results on every part. Nothing lost, twisted or bent.
They took the time to show me around and how they do their work plus the environmental conditions they have to work under and how they comply. Very professional.

They also coat the inner unseen parts of the chrome plating they have done to prevent any future corrosion forming.

Dave
Hi Dave, It sounds like S&T do a very proffesional job and it is just across the bridge for me, I may visit their premises like you done for a shop tour,
Thanks for your replies

Malcolm
73 E Type Manual V12 Roadster, 73 E TYPE Auto V12 COUPE, 61 JAGUAR MK2 3.8, 89 Porsche 944 :Scotland:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic