Page 1 of 3
#1 Lightweight e-type sells for ?4m
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:47 pm
by PaulColeman
#2
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:49 pm
by Heuer
That title should read somewhere between ?4,000,000 and ?7,000,000 according to reports!
#3
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 pm
by PaulColeman
A million here, a million there, who's counting

#4
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:25 pm
by Tony
As much as I love cars and E types, that is immoral. I sometimes think the world has gone mad. Some people have to much money and that includes myself at a very much lower level. I have been futunate enough to be able to afford an E Type after a lot of years but these prices are just plain madness. Apologise if I have offended anybody who spends this kind of money on a car, but you just have to much money.
Rant over
#5
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:11 am
by PaulColeman
Well if it makes you feel better I'm sure I could take some of it off your hands to relieve you of the burden :) But yes I agree things have gone crazy as people switch from trying to get a return from the banks and look towards classic cars as an alternative. I read somewhere recently that some classic cars have outperformed property by a factor of 2 over the last 10 years.
Paul.
#6
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:42 pm
by Dave K
I don't see that many E-Type owners complaining, I'm more than happy to see the waste of money I bought (quote Wife) nearly 20 years ago going up in value :D If someone with loads of money comes along and be even happier.
Dave
#7
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:49 pm
by Tony
Where do I send the money. Whoops, sorry ,spent it all on the E Type :D
#8
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:55 pm
by Tony
Dave K wrote:I don't see that many E-Type owners complaining, I'm more than happy to see the waste of money I bought (quote Wife) nearly 20 years ago going up in value :D If someone with loads of money comes along and be even happier.
Dave
But then you would not have an E Type only money. Then you would want an E type and if they all cost that sort of money you be back to square one.
Anyway the drinks worn of this morning so I am back to normal.
#9
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:34 pm
by mystery type
Its no different to the amounts people spend on oil paintings etc.
and as my wife is always saying.... thats why they invented money, its for spending

#10
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:26 pm
by Moeregaard
I think Tony's comments reflect what a lot of us have felt whenever prices reach stratospheric levels. When we see cars we've lusted after going for more than what many of us paid for our houses, it's easy to feel that the enthusiast is being pushed out of the hobby. Restoring and maintaining classic cars has never been an activity dominated by poor people, but for many years those of us of average means could pick up an E-Type, Healey or other classic from the era, and do a decent home restoration if we are willing to do most of the work. The situation that has developed over the last few years has rusty and basket-case E-Types selling for more money than restored examples did just a few years ago--and there are more restored E-Types available now than there were a decade ago. I watched this happen in the late 1980s and I think we're just seeing history repeating itself.
#11
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:38 pm
by PaulColeman
Moeregaard wrote: I watched this happen in the late 1980s and I think we're just seeing history repeating itself.
And the bubble burst then and probably will again.
#12
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:49 pm
by SEJohnson95
I agree with Tony here, my reaction was similar but probably not worth repeating. The enthusiast is losing out here. I hope that prices either plateau or come down soon (pleeease) since I'll be a little stuck otherwise. I don't yet have the wife to dictate what I need to do with my money but that will inevitably happen one day! Still, I can glance at my lovely framed S1 4.2 OTS picture and use it as motivational factor for studying, it's the best I can do at the moment. What goes up must come down, as they say...
#13
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 pm
by Dave K
I've had the E-Type, restored it, upgraded it and even driven it, I'd sell not even think about buying another one, then go and buy an F-Type.
Dave
#14
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:12 pm
by Turnip
Good luck with that. Did you see this box of bits going for 32k on EBay this week?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-E-Type ... 566efd2cae
#15
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 am
by PaulColeman
Is the love affair over Dave?
Paul.
#16
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:36 am
by Mountain King
Personally I think the etype, healey, Aston etc are coming to an end of their massive valuation run. The reason being this:
When those cars came out in the 60's and 70's it is the 50+ people today that had them on their walls during that era. Generally it is the 50+ (And 40+ tbh) that now has the money. As a kid it is these cars which they coveted. Now the cars which have gone up in value even more are the ones which were on the walls of boys in the 70's and 80's. Me? I had a Testa Rossa and countach, I'm 40. And right now those two cars have appreciTed even more than the E in the last few years. You could add the 930 with the whale tail or 70's duck tail in to that. So what is next? What did boys have on their wall in the 80's and 90's? Jaguar 220, the last of the air cooled Porsches is a good bet, Alfa GTV 3.0V6 (my favourite when it worked!) BMW Z1 and Z8, Sierra Cosworth, lotus, that big Aston V8???????
Andy
#17
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:45 am
by malcolm
The "box of bits" referred to above has nothing on this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-E-Type ... 1229273262
Not even a particularly rare one!
#18
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:27 pm
by mystery type
Although to be fair, that is the price restored, including VAT.
#19
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:57 pm
by Dave K
Andy,
Quite true what you say but there was an article that Paul Coleman referred too a few months ago, his post is on the forum somewhere with a link. It seems the E-Type is a cross generation car, an icon and as such will remain a huge favourite with massive appeal and shows no sign of being out of favour.
Dave
#20
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:59 pm
by Dave K
PaulColeman wrote:
Is the love affair over Dave?
Just don't have the time to drive it and haven't had for a few years, my sons both have classic Mini's so I am now restoring one completely and have the other one to do when this one is finished about March.
I think I am more of the restorer type not driver type.
Dave