Page 1 of 1

#1 Hood colour

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:15 pm
by ernie
Hi all
I thought that I would canvas opinion about the prospective colour of the hood for my 1970 OTS.

The car is being rebuilt and will be painted in Jaguar Op Dark Blue...with a light grey interior (formerly Primrose Yellow with Black interior).

I just wanted get peoples opinions about suitable carpet colour and more importantly about the colour of the hood. I realise that the standard hood colour was probably black but wondered if any cars that were ODB had navy or dark blue hoods?

The reason that I am asking is that in a corner of my little mind I think that dark blue hoods look better than black hoods on a ODB car. :?

#2

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 pm
by abowie
We have done one in opalescent blue with a very dark blue hood and it looks good.
Personally I am a bit like Henry Ford though; hoods should be black.

#3

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:29 am
by christopher storey
It's a matter of personal preference, but I would go for dark blue which IMHO always looks nicer than black with any blue car

Incidentally, are you committed to the pale grey interior ? The problem with it is the sill covers, which inevitably get kicked and go to look very shabby very quickly

#4 Re: Hood colour

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:01 pm
by PeterCrespin
ernie wrote: I thought that I would canvas opinion about the prospective colour of the hood for my 1970 OTS.

The reason that I am asking is that in a corner of my little mind I think that dark blue hoods look better than black hoods on a ODB car. :?
It must be a personality trait of mine but I don't follow the logic of the question. Wouldn't one molecule of paid-for personal preference outweigh a mountain of other people's opinion? Now if I was being offered a free trim and paint I might pretend to listen politely to my benefactors' suggestions, but if I'm paying to deck out my own car the only opinion I care about is the person signing the cheque. As I said, it must be a character trait.

Heck of a Freudian slip though! If you're going to canvas [sic] opinion, I presume you've decided to use mohair rather than Series 2 vinyl? :-)

Pete

#5

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:01 pm
by ernie
Thanks Christopher and Andrew
Thanks for your input.....in answer to your question about sills, the alternative is a red interior...hmm I think that I will ave a chat with Angus about measures to limit scuffing (aside from unscrewing my legs or preventing girlies with long legs and heels getting in- the later aint going to happen) :P

#6

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:05 pm
by drcarrera
I'd go for a dark blue hood personally but it depends on whether you want to "blend" or "contrast".

How about blue sill covers as well? Not factory I know but would look fine IMO and wouldn't show the marks as easily.

#7 Re: Hood colour

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:09 pm
by ernie
[/quote]

It must be a personality trait of mine but I don't follow the logic of the question. Wouldn't one molecule of paid-for personal preference outweigh a mountain of other people's opinion? Now if I was being offered a free trim and paint I might pretend to listen politely to my benefactors' suggestions, but if I'm paying to deck out my own car the only opinion I care about is the person signing the cheque. As I said, it must be a character trait.

Heck of a Freudian slip though! If you're going to canvas [sic] opinion, I presume you've decided to use mohair rather than Series 2 vinyl? :-)

Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete
The reason that I posted is that I am as yet undecided....whilst not a usually consultative person....I value others input (though not always adopt them). I think that often others views are interesting and additive...as per the various icomments re the sills from the others...and of course your comments Pete ! All character traits are welcome in response to my posts.

May I assume that perhaps from time to time you may miss the animated pub discussions/ friendly arguments that still go on in the UK? :idea:

You spotted the canvas reference.double meaning ..and yes i will go with mohair as it looks better IMHO
David :

#8

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm
by christopher storey
Ernie ; have you had a good look at all the pics on xkedata ? If you select ODB cars and have a look at all those with pics attached you will get a good idea of what looks right and what doesn't

#9

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:30 pm
by PeterCrespin
David - regardless of hood or interior colour choices (all of which sound fine to me) the car is being treated much better at your hands and Angus's than it ever was in mine! But then it was treated better in my hands than it was by the old Mercedes parts guy in Frederick MD who had it for donkey's years before my year with it. Enjoy.

Pete

#10

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:45 pm
by abowie
Personally I reckon a dark blue car would look quite odd with a red interior, although there is bound to be someone who has one and loves it. A very dark blue interior looks ok with ODB and will negate some of the sill cover problems mentioned. I have a personal if irrational hatred of black interiors. I have a new one in my red coupe and to me it just looks cheap and nasty.

#11

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:01 pm
by 1954Etype
PeterCrespin wrote:David - regardless of hood or interior colour choices (all of which sound fine to me) the car is being treated much better at your hands and Angus's than it ever was in mine! But then it was treated better in my hands than it was by the old Mercedes parts guy in Frederick MD who had it for donkey's years before my year with it. Enjoy.

Pete
wrong car Pete!

#12

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:52 pm
by Heuer
ODB with grey interior and grey hood. It would look superb and refreshingly different. Blue hood will clash with the blue of paint as you will never get a match. Black will look odd. You only want two colours, adding a third would be a fashion disaster (according to my wife!).

#13

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:03 am
by Simon P
Heuer wrote:Black will look odd. You only want two colours, adding a third would be a fashion disaster (according to my wife!).
Technically of course black isn't a colour...

:wink:

#14

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:03 am
by PeterCrespin
Simon P wrote:Technically of course black isn't a colour...
:wink:
Dead right. And there's no such thing as dark or cold, just absence of light or heat.

Pete (at minus two and pitch black)

#15

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:38 pm
by Heuer
And the RAF used 'Night' on their aircraft. They insisted night was not black!

#16

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:00 pm
by ernie
.[/quote]

Technically of course black isn't a colour...

:wink:[/quote]
Of course in the reality of car paintwork Black is a colour, as it is not a pefect absorber of light.........eg
A black object may look black, but, technically, it may still be reflecting some light. For example, a black pigment results from a combination of several pigments that collectively absorb most colors. If appropriate proportions of three primary pigments are mixed, the result reflects so little light as to be called "black." In reality, what appears to be black may be reflecting some light.

:?

#17

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 pm
by Simon P
Yeah, but who ever paints a hood? Weird.....

:wink:

#18

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:16 pm
by ernie
In America they do! :P

#19

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:44 am
by christopher storey
Simon P wrote:Yeah, but who ever paints a hood? Weird.....

:wink:
All fabric hoods are painted

#20

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 pm
by Heuer
And so is Hardura.