Hi, I'm still looking for the right car, I've decide on a 2+2 as I've tried to squeeze into a FHC and come to the conclusion that I could drive one for a short period but I'd soon become too uncomfortable on a long distance. I never driven a 2+2 could any body tell me if the driving experience is the same as the FHC.
I came across a valuation site while I was searching for a car (hagertys) its values the series 1.5 2+2 higher than the series 1 2+2, is this correct as I thought the series 1 cars were the most valuable cars. Any thought on which cars is best for long term ownership and reliability series 1 or series 2. I look forward to your replies
Phil
Car values
-
Gfhug
- Posts: 3863
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#2
Phil, I can't suggest actual or relative values but these books may help you in understanding the various Series and versions, FHC, OTS, 2+2:
And have you read through the forum knowledge on the various models? viewtopic.php?t=890
In Peter's book he suggests that the S1 2+2 is worth more than the S 1.5 2+2 and both worth more than the S2 2+2. There is the S3 which only comes in 2+2 (or OTS, but not the shorter wheelbase FHC).
The S1.5 and S2 also can have automatic gearboxes, which again tend to lower the value against manual gearboxes.
It is said that Hagerty's reflects US prices, where for some reason E Types are not as highly valued as here in the UK, which is why so many are being shipped over here.
I hope this hasn't complicated the subject, but I'd certainly suggest getting those two books and maybe Peter Crespin, who posts on here, might give his thoughts?
Geoff
And have you read through the forum knowledge on the various models? viewtopic.php?t=890
In Peter's book he suggests that the S1 2+2 is worth more than the S 1.5 2+2 and both worth more than the S2 2+2. There is the S3 which only comes in 2+2 (or OTS, but not the shorter wheelbase FHC).
The S1.5 and S2 also can have automatic gearboxes, which again tend to lower the value against manual gearboxes.
It is said that Hagerty's reflects US prices, where for some reason E Types are not as highly valued as here in the UK, which is why so many are being shipped over here.
I hope this hasn't complicated the subject, but I'd certainly suggest getting those two books and maybe Peter Crespin, who posts on here, might give his thoughts?
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Hi Phil. ..what you ask has been talked about a lot on this forum....have a look here viewtopic.php?t=7507&postdays=0&postord ... es&start=0
Also just do a search........everyone has there own opinions re driving experience. ...I love an open top but couldn't afford an ots but was offered a S2 2+2 that had a sunroof...I love it but then I only use it when I can have the roof open....Steve
Also just do a search........everyone has there own opinions re driving experience. ...I love an open top but couldn't afford an ots but was offered a S2 2+2 that had a sunroof...I love it but then I only use it when I can have the roof open....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#4
Phil : I drive all 3 types regularly - my own S2 OTS, S1 FHC , and a friend's S1 2+2. Essentially , to drive there is not much difference between them, although the 2+2 is more refined and a softer feeling car than either of mine. As far as performance is concerned, it probably depends more on differences between individual examples rather than differences between the models, although this particular 2+2 to me feels less accelerative than mine do . The 2+2 , although it is the least sought after, has advantages of spaciousness and refinement, and certainly if a nice 2+2 turned up, I would certainly buy it in preference to a ratty FHC for example
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
S1 2+2 has been manufactured in auto versions as well, not only 1.5 and 2.
Carsten
Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
Thanks for the information I've just ordered the buyers guide for the Etype off amazon hopefully this should give me a good idea about what to buy. Does anybody know we're the best place is to look for a car I've been looking on line at classiccarsforsale.co.uk, when i contacted two sellers on this web site both car had been sold the two cars are still on the web site about 3 weeks later. This site doesn't seem to be upto date.
Thanks
Phil
Thanks
Phil
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
I've got a S2 2+2 for the same reason - my size, and the space. The Sevastopol is great. It should be marginally slower than a coupe or OTS as it weighs 2cwt more, but mine seems as quick as any others I drive with.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



