Page 1 of 1

#1 Bonnet fastening strip meets headlight chrome

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:35 am
by guyjohnwood@aol.com
Dear all,

Should the chrome headlight surround fit over the bonnet fastening strip, if so it leaves a significant gap, or should the fastening strip butt with the chrome surround, which would eliminate the gap.

Thanks in advance,

Guy

#2

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:02 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Guy

My bonnet strips fit under the crown ring. I think this is generally the set-up. I bedded the seal in with grey sealer to counter the slight lifting that.occurs.
Forget about trying to stop leaks into the sugar scoops. The seal's real job is to stop the crown ring scratching the paintwork.
I also injected sealer in the gap between the wing and bonnet top where it is covered by the crown ring. This is where. most of the leaking seems to occur.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Alan

#3

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:25 pm
by 1954Etype
The factory scooped out the end of the strip so it followed the curvature of the chrome ring and then butted it up. It didn't go under the ring.