Page 1 of 2
#1 Restoration makes the Telegraph
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:50 pm
by Stephanie Plum
#2
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 am
by djw61
The car does not appear in the pictures to have outside bonnet locks. Given its early production date, I was surprised.
#3
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:01 am
by mgcjag
#4
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 am
by Heuer
Only the first five RHD and 21 LHD FHC's had outside bonnet locks.
#5
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:20 pm
by JimmyS
It doesn't appear to have a 'Coventry Timber Bending Co.' steering wheel and the type face used on the number plates could be more in keeping with 1961. Apart from that, it looks like a good job!
#6
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:33 pm
by Heuer
Yes. except for the 'D-Type' HT lead separator, wrong side light lenses, repro blower motor/fan, 5SJ washer motor, wrong coil along with the afore mentioned steering wheel and repro horn push. I could go on! What the hell is the "forced air fan" sticker all about? Obviously not a concours car, which is a shame given the early production.
Not sure what you mean about the number plates - it is a 1961 car and those plates with 3 1/2" characters would have been fitted up until 1963 when the year letters started.
#7
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:03 pm
by JimmyS
Re the Number Plate type face, yes they appear to be 3?" I prefer the more rounded characters seen here
viewtopic.php?p=41625&highlight=number+plate+ace#41625
#8
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:53 pm
by richard btype
It is odd that the later steering wheel was fitted, personally I really like the colour of the interior - very unusual...
#9
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 pm
by andrewh
this one has a history
http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=860015
Is it really what it purports to be? Worth reading the above link.
#10
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:26 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Andrew....its the same car...No15 restored by CMC
#11
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm
by andrewh
yes I know, but if you read the link someone reckons he owned this and it was stolen a few years ago. So there is a question mark over whether the car CMC have is in fact number 15, or so it would appear from the link. I fear there are a lot of E types that have been cloned from US imports where it is thought the original UK car has gone.
#12
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:43 pm
by 265bhp
Interesting that the header tank is in the dove grey colour..not seen that before...?
#13
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:41 pm
by Dave K
mgcjag wrote:Hi Andrew....its the same car...No15 restored by CMC
With a different body number!
#14
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:15 pm
by christopher storey
I spoke today at lunch with Peter Neumark who owns this car . I was interested to find first that its colours are not as appears ( on my screen at any rate ) in the Telegraph pics, but is Pearl Grey with light blue interior. Even more interesting is that its history is effectively beyond doubt - Peter has the original green logbook with the name in it of the French based previous owner, so whatever car was stolen from Bristol was not in fact this car
#15
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:19 pm
by PeterCrespin
Shocking. Assuming the theft was reported in 1990/91 the french resisent should have been asked to give evidence of pre-1990 ownership, not just a verbal statement if that's all that CMC got to support the 'find'.
Seems even theft and a change of body number can be glossed over?
By coincidence, I heard back from Cambs police this morning about that recent multi-thousand 'memorabilia' data plate/heritage certificate sale on eBay. Seller 77Highlander77 was told to remove it from sale by eBay and Staffs police went to feel his collar. He claimed he bought it at Newark Autojumble from someone called Zak but he doesn't think it's his real name.
When eBay told him to remove it, he supposedly went back to Newark on Dec 13th and sold it from his stall (to someone he doesn't know, of course). Cambs police have asked Staffs to see him again and get the VIN from him but he will presumably 'not remember'. I told Cambs to check with Faye McCleod at Jaguar Heritage, who issued the certificate and notified eBay and her police contact when I otiginally brough it to her attention.
I copied Faye and Mike Cook the US archivist at the time and in my reply to Cambs today, so before too long the fact that Mr 77Highlander77's poor memory will not prevent this VIN from going on XKEData.com and other more official databases to prevent, one hopes, subsequent building of a clone under the dataplate or 'rebirth' of another stolen car. It is vital we all collaborate and make the effort to smoke out these duds (humans and cars) to press down on the thieves.
Pete
#16
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 pm
by PeterCrespin
Hadn't seen Chris's post when I typed mine. I take his report as true.
There is still an odour about this car IMO. After all, in 2007 the owner of the stolen car had no motive to report a theft sixteen years earlier and could have had no knowledge the car would reappear 24 years later. XKEdata has its limitations but is a useful way of recording historic input, both rettospectively and in real time.
#17
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 pm
by Heuer
All the 'odour' aside I am still disappointed that CMC can't get the basics right on such an early car. It is not difficult if you read our Factory Fit thread!
#18
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:57 pm
by Dave K
Theft of E-Types and then appearing as someone else's car seems to be getting more and more common. Paul who basically runs xkedata is dealing with this quite often.
Only last week I got an email from him regarding a car I recorded on xked in 2005, I took the vin off the car and put it on the site, it had been restored and looked really nice, I saw car at the Coleford, Glos classic car show. The car is now dark blue with a red interior, don't know if that's the original colour.
Only problem was the car had been stolen from a lock up garage sometime in the 20 years previous the 2005. The original owner had put it in the garage and left it there, they went to go and see it only to find it gone.
I have the VIN and engine of the car but no other numbers, only wish I had taken a photo of the car with the reg number. The police are saying there is nothing they can do but I would have thought they could approach the DVLA and ask them to search the VIN.
So somewhere someone has a really nice 4.2 FHC which has been stolen and if the original owner can find it and prove it was his car then it could be taken off them and given back to its original owner,
#19
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:11 pm
by PeterCrespin
christopher storey wrote:I spoke today at lunch with Peter Neumark who owns this car.....Peter has the original green logbook with the name in it of the French based previous owner, so whatever car was stolen from Bristol was not in fact this car
What was his explanation for a change of body Chris?
What is DVLA's/the law's view on a change of body shell? Doesn't the ID go with the shell normally on a unibody vehicle?
#20
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 am
by christopher storey
I didn't ask about the body number . I doubt that there has actually been a change - it is just that the factory records are often not that reliable. The discussion in the few posts above this one about thefts seems to me to arise from the fact that too many E types have been cloned, and if they are stolen it becomes impossible to trace the true ID of the vehicle .