Le Mans Trip

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
davef
Great Britain

#1 Le Mans Trip

Post by davef » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Just organising a trip down to Le Mans for the Classic in July. Only having owned my series 3 e-type for less than 1 year, this will be the longest trip in the car, managed London to Exeter last year (not bad for a car that had only done 400 miles in 4 years previously), did need a bit of work when we got back but she got us there and back.

I wondered what would be the advice from those of you that had undertaken such trips previously, should I take a boot full of spares, if so what and what breakdown cover should I look for. Hoping I don't need any but would not want to get stuck. My previous experience with a daily drive when I was taken ill in France was that the RAC cover was pretty good and sorted me, my passenger and the car out very well.

Thanks in advance

Maybe will see some other e-types when I am there.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Le Mans

Post by cactusman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Sure others will offer advice but get full recovery to the UK....just in case. I would take fan belt, couple of spark plugs, rotor arm and maybe a distributor cap, fuel pump, fuses, length of wire, a couple of jubilee clips and hose repair kit in addition to the mandatory bulbs, triangle, hi vis jackets, disposable breath tester etc. Sure others will think of stuff....spare inner tube...have a great time.....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sjmmarsh
Great Britain

Post by Sjmmarsh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 pm

I'd add oil and transmission fluid to the list.

I did the trip to Le Mans last year - the only spare I needed was a fuse for the radiator fan - plus about 20 litres of water to top it up after it had boiled over!

Steve
Steve
1973 S3 v12 2+2 1S52113BW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

Post by malcolm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:48 am

I did 1700 miles opver the Spanish and French Pyrenees in mine last year. Had tons of spares, and thankfully didfn't use any!
I agree with suggestions above, but (although it sounds obvious), don't forget to take a few litres of water for the cooling system in case you need to replenish after a leak. Gaffer tape essential too. Also, have you ensured you have the means to get a wheel off in case of puncture? Sounds silly, but if your normal jack is just going to wind up into a rusty sill, you need an alternative! Worth practicing a wheel change.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BRM
Great Britain

Post by BRM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:49 am

I took mine down to Angouleme in September. I thad full breakdown cover with the AA including recovery to the UK, though if the worst happens I don't think you can expect the same level of service that you get at home.

I took everything Julian mentioned. The fuel pump came in handy when I lent it to someone else with a problem. I also took a spare alternator as I had one anyway, duck tape, a few cable ties of various sizes, a few lengths of electric cable, a few assorted nuts and bolts and, in case roadside repairs were needed, a cheap disposable overall, disposable gloves and hand wipes.

In the end none of it was needed. 1000 miles and the only failure was one of my new windscreen wiper arms which flew off into oblivion on the A27 in torrential rain on the way home from Portsmouth !
Brian

1969 S2 FHC 1R20267
1960 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:37 am

Thread on what you need to think about when touring abroad here: viewtopic.php?t=150
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herbie
Great Britain

Post by Herbie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:42 pm

I too am going to the Le Mans classic, unfortunately not in my E as I have yet to start restoring it, but in my rover p6 2200 sc, I have done many long trips in it and believe in the slow and steady technique (not much choice with the Rover!)
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob Falfa
Great Britain

Post by Bob Falfa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:34 pm

This year will be my fourth Le Mans Classic, and the second in my E. I have full AA Europe cover including repatriation. Basic spares covering ignition, fan belt, fuses, bulbs etc. Spare coil. Full service three months before going.

Make sure you book in for a track lap!
1969 Series 2 2+2
E Type Club & JEC member

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herbie
Great Britain

Post by Herbie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:19 am

They may politely ask me to leave if I were to do a track lap in the Rover!
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic