Daily Runner

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
harryetype

#1 Daily Runner

Post by harryetype » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Having just bought a tatty and very tired S1 3.8 OTS I am intending to get it running and roadworthy. I will then use it throughout the summer as my everyday car, when it will then be taken off the road and completely restored.

The point of this post is to see if it worth having a separate thread for everyday E's and for people mad enough to join me and post their experiences and cost of running. It might be worth for other members who join me to post total cost including purchase, upkeep and end value.

As I have been contemplating what newish car to buy as my next daily runner I could not bring myself to buy another car that loses more money than the wife (aka The War Office) can spend shopping .

let me know your thoughts?
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Definitely worth a Forum section on its own Harry. Buying an E-Type on a shoe string and running it day to day must be of interest to many. AndyP runs his car day to day so his experiences will be of value, along with your own, obviously. Great idea - go for it!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Excellent idea! That S3 Plus 2 you sold recently would also have been an good candidate....with a bit of economic injection of course. Not sure that everyday means summer only though Harry....should include those November mornings and evenings, commuting in and out of town in the rain, hail and dark! Perhaps that's taking things a bit far though.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
harryetype

Post by harryetype » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:32 pm

I thought of that, but I would have to do it in a rough one as I could'nt bring myself to use a nice one in all that salt and damp weather.

The car I had in mind might be a bit too tatty and maybe a bit unsafe for road use, therefore that one will possible go on ebay or in line for restoration.

I think I'll do it in our demo car, fited with various upgrades such as 5 Speed, Quick rack, four pot brakes plus a few reliabilty extras.

You keep mentioning V12 Fuel injection, I think we need to convert your one and then you can join in on the daily runner thread.

If I get time later I'll make a new thread for this one.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:44 pm

It depends what your daily run is, Harry. Mine's a 250 mile commute....don't think the E would like that too much. Well, the engine would thrive on it, but the beautifully preserved Californian bodywork would soon disintegrate!

I need to work closer to home I think....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
harryetype

Post by harryetype » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:01 pm

I think it could start to loose its appeal.

I have now added a new Section for daily runners if anyones interested.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic