Geoff
Carburretor brass tops
-
Gfhug
Topic author - Posts: 3862
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#1 Carburretor brass tops
My S2 has brass caps on the carbs not the later black plastic knurled versions. Won't pass scrutiny on a concours check, but are the brass ones common enough just to have been fitted sometime during eg engine overhaul or should I put them up for sale at an inflated price for early S1 owners to fight over?
Geoff
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#2
The latter, with a thousand pounds reserve, because Stirling Moss's shadow once fell on them through the louvres of the 3.8 donor.
Those who live by inflation shall be inflated...
Those who live by inflation shall be inflated...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
If they are original to the 3.8 they will have an 'O' stamped on the cap top. Reproductions do not have it nor do non-E-Type dampers.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4 Brass tops
Had to rush out and peer at my brass tops!! All three have O stamped in the top!!
Unless you are into concourse or need the cash i would keep em as they look so much better than the plastic ones. Bit of brasso....lovely.
I have no idea how common or otherwise they are. Wise heads on here will know.
Unless you are into concourse or need the cash i would keep em as they look so much better than the plastic ones. Bit of brasso....lovely.
I have no idea how common or otherwise they are. Wise heads on here will know.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
Topic author - Posts: 3862
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#5
No, Peter, it was Norman Dewis's shadow!
Looking at Clausager's book the 'O' isn't to be seen, maybe they've been polished with Brasso too often?
Looking at Clausager's book the 'O' isn't to be seen, maybe they've been polished with Brasso too often?
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
'O' for 'Original'?

1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II
2008 Caterham Seven Roadsport
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II
2008 Caterham Seven Roadsport
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7 Carburettor tops.
Obviously mine had have brasso free periods then! All shiney now. Maybe a hint of Jackie Stewart's shadow but I can't be certain....lol..
Maybe the Clausager ones are copies....
Maybe the Clausager ones are copies....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
Topic author - Posts: 3862
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#8
Now we need Heuer to tell us where to find the reproductions then with the aid of a letter stamp they could be made to look pretty much like the originals (but not be fakes!)
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
The "O" marked SU damper caps had their pistons reduced in length from .378" to .308". This modification allowed the carburettor pistons to lift more freely with noted improvements in acceleration. The SU part number for the modified damper cap was AUC8114. Earlier caps may be modified by machining .070" off the pistons.


David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#10
Silly question time-do you measure the damper length with the cap attached or not?
Alan
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#11
Alan : I think it's the brass piston length that is referred to . The overall length of damper and cap is far more than .378 inches
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#12
Correct.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#13
Thanks Christopher, that's what I thought. I'd check the one's on the car but there are two problems-
1. They are wrongly fitted with the black plastic tops and
2. I'm in the French Alps enjoying my second favourite pass time-skiing.
I'm assuming mine are the correct length despite them being the wrong type but I'll check them on my return.
Does anyone sell reproductions with the "O" stamped on them.
Alan
1. They are wrongly fitted with the black plastic tops and
2. I'm in the French Alps enjoying my second favourite pass time-skiing.
I'm assuming mine are the correct length despite them being the wrong type but I'll check them on my return.
Does anyone sell reproductions with the "O" stamped on them.
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#14
Not as far as I am aware. The car will still run with the longer versions so unless you are going racing ..........
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#15
Christopher
I've realised now that it was a very silly question. Even more so since I've had the dash pot Pistons out many times recently. I think I've had too much sun today.
I suppose you could use a grinding stone to remove the 70 thou if you could actually be bothered!
Or just make up your own reproduction with brass tops and a letter punch.
I've realised now that it was a very silly question. Even more so since I've had the dash pot Pistons out many times recently. I think I've had too much sun today.
I suppose you could use a grinding stone to remove the 70 thou if you could actually be bothered!
Or just make up your own reproduction with brass tops and a letter punch.
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |


