Axle Stand points

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
ian68

#1 Axle Stand points

Post by ian68 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 pm

I need to take all four wheels of the E at the same time so will need to put her up on four axle stands.

I searched the forum and found the answer for how to jack the front and rear and where to place the stands at the front but not at the rear.

Do I place them where obvious? ie under the outer ends of the lower suspension arms?

Sorry if this is a daft question, but i'd rather look daft than be daft!

Thanks,

Ian
1965 S1 FHC, 1959 S2 LandRover, 1977 101FC LandRover, 2010 110 LandRover Defender, 2008 Off Road Buggy.
"Variety is the spice of life"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 am

Ian, placing jack stands at an E-Type's rear is a pain. If you just need to get under the car, you can place them under the outer fulcrum shafts of the rear suspension. If this is the area needing attention, the problem is a little more complicated. I prefer to place the stands under the longitudinal floor stiffeners, just forward of the rear bulkhead, and supplement this with a floor jack under the rear suspension. This will adequately support everything and will also allow the suspension to drop enough for wheel removal.

The reason for the floor jack is to avoid having the entire rear suspension hanging from the Metalastik mounts. While the mounts are strong enough when new to allow the suspension to hang, they can fail if old and perished. If the exhaust system is still in place, use a short length of 4X4 fence post between the jack and suspension to avoid squashing the pipes.

Whatever you end up doing, please make sure the car is well supported before crawling under.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Wed May 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Ian : I second Moe's warning very strongly. I did put a thread on here 2 months ago : I put my IRS back using my old mounts, and 10 minutes later, there was a horrible noise, and the left hand mounts failed completely and the left side collapsed . Not nice to be under it if that happened

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Wed May 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Ian,

when I take all 4 wheels off, I always mount the axle stands under the splined hubs (with a piece of rubber to protect them).

Never had a problem.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ian68

Post by ian68 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Cheers guys,

I just need to get all four wheels off at the same time, so I will put the stands under the outer fulcrum shafts and leave the jack under the center with the block of wood in place for good measure!

I'm getting a new set of wheels and i'm taking my old ones to the suppliers because they are fitted with a hardly worn set of Michelin XVS tyres which, at close on ?1000 a set, i'm going to get swapped to the new rims as I want some use out of them!

Thanks for the advice gents.

Ian
1965 S1 FHC, 1959 S2 LandRover, 1977 101FC LandRover, 2010 110 LandRover Defender, 2008 Off Road Buggy.
"Variety is the spice of life"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic