Stolen in Belgium

Talk about E-Types here

Herzeg
Great Britain

#21 Skytrak

Post by Herzeg » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I have been given a Skytrak for free as part of my insurance. All I need to pay is the monthly fee.

I have to find a location inside the car that doesn't need to have a clear line of sight to the sky but only thin metal if not. I have looked behind the central instrument panel and if I'm seeing it right the dashcover is either not metal or very thin. Thres also the plastic central air vent which the signal can pass through. This looks a good spot because it has a permanent power supply nearby, but is rather too easy to find.

Does anyone else have one fitted? Where did you put yours?

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Not sure it is a good idea to discuss this in open Forum,. certainly in regard to positioning. Suggest you use the PM system to discuss.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:47 pm

And dont forget to put a lable on the window to warn that you have one fitted :roll:
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#24 Tracker

Post by cactusman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Location is definately NOT one for an open forum. Where you put it needs to be secret as you have no idea who may be reading this forum. And DO NOT tell anyone at shows etc either or in the pub!!!!!!!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#25 Tracker

Post by cactusman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Incidently I would advise you do NOT mark the car as having a tracker fitted as it is then the first thing the thief will be looking for. They may look anyway so be very mindful to keep any wiring etc as obscured as possible to. You want them to find out the tracker was fitted when a large burly police man throws them in the back of a nice secure transit van and takes their scummy arse to the nick.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

Post by Herzeg » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Very good comments - brain obviously not in gear when I posted.
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:21 pm

A warning sticker is a great idea....

...assuming you don't actually have a tracker fitted.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#28 Re: Stolen in Belgium

Post by mystery type » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:20 pm

some more details about the car could certainly help in case spotted in whole or parts: body/interior colours, FHC of OTS, body/engine/gearbox nrs,
STOLEN and still unrecovered
1968 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
VRN: FND320F
VIN: IE17194
ENGINE: 7E16405-9
Any information, please ring Hagerty on 0333 3231138
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#29 Re:

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:20 pm

288gto wrote:This is the very reason I get so concerned about dubious E bay listings for "Vin tag and Heritage Certificate" identity packages that appear every so often and have been highlighted in posts on here.
Exactly. To my mind such listings are a crime in plain sight and we ought to react as if we were watching a car being stolen. There is no legitimate use for such identity packages without a car attached IMO. To be useful, the details need to be matched to a body or complete car that has somehow lost its own ID. You don't have to be Einstein to realise that stolen vehicles - in whole or in part - are the perfect recipients of such identities. Wringing our hands is no good, we need to report such sales to the police immediately and then eBay plus note the theft on xkedata.com

By contrast, if anyone spots the car or parts of it, I would NOT publicize the fact here, just get in touch with the owner and police. I fear my own when my two cars were spotted, led to the thieves removing them overnight while the police were obtaining a search warrant. Thieves read forums too...

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#30 Re: Stolen in Belgium

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:16 am

Wise words Pete. I had a call from someone asking if l had some chassis plates for sale. I told them l did but they were still attached to cars.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#31 Re: Stolen in Belgium

Post by ralphr1780 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 am

Yesterday morning my wife and I were taking advantage of the finally dry weather, gently cruising in the S2 the top down on a quiet green road to attend lunch at friends place, when suddenly a police car arrived behind us flashing lights and siren on and requested us to pull over just in front of a lively farm.
First thing that came to my mind was a possible speed limit in the village we just crossed before that I could have missed, or a faulty brake light.
One officer came to us while the second one was busy on his telecom obviously checking the license plate. I was requested for the car registration and my driving license. Once examined, they made compliments on the car and noted that the radio was not original! I asked why they had decided to control us, they said that they were much alert on oldtimers being stolen lately in Belgium and France, professionally organised crime often subject to a contract, and advised us for utmost attention where we park or in case of breakdown or accident, or being followed when back home!
Then to complete the procedure, I had to blow for an alcoholtest, luckily it does not rate caffeine level.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SLoeners
Belgium

#32 Re: Stolen in Belgium

Post by SLoeners » Mon May 08, 2023 7:15 am

Message for Chrisfell and anybody whose oldtimer gets stolen on the European continent.
You may find that stolen cars are no priority for the police in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Car theft being an international phenomenon, you may want to get in touch with a private investigator, for example
Ben Zuidema https://www.benzuidema.nl/
or
John V. Detectives https://www.johnv-detectives.nl/contact/

Additional resource:
- international facebook group for reporting stolen oldtimers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1012322568903128/

I am merely starting to collect information, a matter of having a modus operandi, in case my car ever gets stolen.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic