Page 1 of 1

#1 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:19 pm
by chrisfell
There are a couple of things I don't like about my 2+2's exhaust. One is that it doesn't sound like an E-Type's exhaust. This is because the down pipes feed into a siamesed section before splitting into the two main silencers. The other thing I don't like is the fit of these two main silencer boxes.

Actually there are three things. I also don't like that the down pipes are much lower than the rest of the system - more than an inch lower.

The slot under the car into which the silencers fit is precisely 16 inches wide. The trouble is that the silencer staps are also 16 inches wide. This distorts the rubber hangers to the point they often fail. Here are some photos.

Image

Here is the silencer strap, which is more than 16 inches wide (before wrapping around the silencers).

Image

Here is a new rubber hanger. This particular hanger delaminated on initial fitting and had to be replaced immediately.

Image

And here is a hanger distorted by the ill fitting silencer strap.

Clearly something is not quite right. Question is what have others done? Modified the straps? Cut the hangers? Forced it all to fit?

As for the sound, I'm sure I recall one owner had modified an exhaust for a coupe to fit, thus generating the unique E-Type growl only produced by twin exhausts.

#2 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:10 pm
by kingzetts
Chris,
I can't help with the exhaust note, but on the issue of the down pipes being lower......I had this issue with my first replacement SS exhaust and again with my current SS sports exhaust from SNGB. I eventually bought some tubing of the correct material and diameter to slip over the down pipes, cut out an inch or so of the vertical section of the down pipes and re-welded using a length of the tubing to bridge the gap. A year or so later it's working well and gives that little bit of extra ground clearance.

#3 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:16 pm
by 1954Etype
Chris, we had a problem fitting a standard mount to a swb car due to the badly made exhaust mount. I bought some canvas based strap used for drive belts on pulleys (think victorian factory with steam engine powering looms etc) about 4" wide. Cut to size and mounted with metal strips to bolt it in place, its holding up well.

#4 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 pm
by Durango2k
I am fitting coupe downpipes to my 2+2. The german forum said it will fit, however, you have to lengthen the downpipes by some few inches, until the pipes reach the silencers. They are of course too short. But this way you get rid of the siamese feature.

I can send a picture soon- I just fitted the manifolds, and will trial-fit the downpipes soon to measure against the silencers.

Carsten

#5 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:16 am
by mgcjag
Hi Chris....the large bracket you show above i bent out tbe end fitting slighty so that it fits the mounts without pulling on them.....I have a standard exhaust set up...never thought it didnt sound like an E type becaus it is one :?: .....never really looked into the siamise joint ...why is it there?

#6 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:56 am
by Durango2k
I think the joint on the 2+2 is there for the auto gearbox. It has a wide oil pan, so the standard system would foul it. So they came up with the siamese idea.

Then, they did not bother putting the same exhaust system into the manual 2+2s as well, were it is not strictly needed.

So, to have a non-siamesed exhaust in a manual car, you have to go abroad and build your own from standard coupe parts.

You could also buy a special 2" version, but this requires modifications to the carbu needles and would only really be helpful on a big valve head (say except the noise....).

Carsten

#7 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:36 pm
by simong
I have also being having the same issues with the silencer straps and rubber hangers. I have tried bending the straps but ended up with the top strap protruding to high and as a consequence hitting the heat shield. I am now going to cut the straps and remove some metal, reshape and weld, hopefully will end up with a correct fit.
Simon

#8 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:45 am
by malcolm
Yes, the siamese idea was only there because you needed to avoid the larger auto gearbox. It was not needed for the manual, but they wanted to standardise the parts.
I got a new stainless steel manifold and downpipes from Hayward and Scott for my 2+2, and they don't "siamese". They are also the long downpipes, so no joint from the manifold to pipes. The 2 pipes from the manifold go straight into the first silencer box. Fit a treat, and I've never had an issue with them. Sound good too!
And I don't have any connection with Hayward and Scott! :lol:

#9 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:03 pm
by tim wood
I also have a twin pipe set up my 2+2. Made by etype fabs back in the days. With a short manifold

Identical to a swb car but with 9inch longer pipes to meet up with the boxes.

As you would expect - - a perfect fit

Tim

#10 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:06 pm
by chrisfell
Hmmmm! Seems like I got a sub-optimal deal with my exhaust. Manufacturer shall remain nameless (as I bought the system from a well known 'usual' parts supplier). The rear os the main boxes and the transfer pipes were of the same diameter tube, ie one wont go into the other. I bought a pair of size to size fittings, and cut pieces off the silencer pipes to allow them to fit.

#11 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:14 pm
by KingRichard
Hi Chris,

I have encounterd the same problem. See my website for pictures I made a couple of years ago:

http://www.richardbrand.nl/images/35.jpg
http://www.richardbrand.nl/images/36.jpg
http://www.richardbrand.nl/images/41.jpg
http://www.richardbrand.nl/images/42.jpg

Problem lies in the difference between front and rear straps. Rear is smaller. It has a different partnummer. That is because it gets smaller to the rear between the frame rails. The exhaust I bought has indentical straps.

See my solution. I made my own hangers for the rear from reinforced rubberplate. Works excellent.

I contacted the usual I bought the Bell exhaust from. Still waiting for a response. Also still regrett I throw away my old rusty exhaust including the straps. Since then I never, ever throw an orginal part away from the car, even if it is not usable or repairable anymore. You still have it a reference.

I will also have in future replace the siames front pipes with the ones from the coupe.

Regards,
Richard

#12 Re: 2+2 exhausts

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:25 am
by Robert Hiland
I had the same problem after a mechanic installed a coupe exhaust system from the downpipes back.

He used coupe mufflers on a 2+2 and did a bad job of adjusting for the longer lengths and hanging points.

After years of trying to repair his job I got fed up and took the car to a custom muffler shop.

He removed the flex joints and the Siamese configuration, made new pipes using mild steel, shortened the drop to provide better road clearance, welded them in place, made new hangers, and then welded the pipes to the muffler.

The job cost a couple hundred dollars and I've never had a problem since.

Note - mild steel has a different resonant frequency than SS and sounds better.
- when the car was up I noticed that the muffler had no baffles - explains why I was blowing brown for a while. The exteriors were fine so I left them alone ... the resonators now do all the silencing work. I now have "straight through" exhaust with no back pressure issues.

Bob
1967 2+2 - manual shift