Page 1 of 1

#1 Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:11 am
by casso
Hello everyone. I'm a new member, vague at best when it comes to forum navigation and not too good with computers in general to be honest, but I'm steadily finding my way around. It's like discovering a new magazine to me, only much better. So much information and presented in a way even I understand. Fantastic. I hope I'm posting this in the correct place, it's not a query of sorts, I just thought it would be interesting.

I have a 69 2+2 that I've owned and regularly driven since 1978. I am the second owner and until recently thought I knew more or less the cars entire history. I removed the fuel tank to replace it while carrying out some other repairs and when I removed the plate on top there was a Lucas 2fp fuel pump fastened to the underside of it.
My car has always had an electric pump, and so I thought, the original tank.
The pump is stamped with 78387 E and what appears to be a date 12 /5/63. it has locking wire with a lead seal squashed onto the join fastened to what look like two adjusting devices, and a braided hose with electrical cable inside which has been cut off level with the brass fitting nut on the end of it. On the bottom there is a curved copper pipe with a gauze strainer on the end and it fastens to the body with a banjo bolt with copper washers each side. The two rubber ? bushes pressed into the eared lugs are in remarkable condition, one has what looks like earthing or anti static metal tabs folded over it, whatever they are made of, it looks like you could just go ahead and reuse them they've lasted so well. The tank was rotten and pinholed and to my amazement covered in large welded patches at two corners underneath. The car was entirely rust free when I bought it in 78 with only 17,000 miles on the clock. The old gent I bought it from back then had maintained it almost obsessively and handed me receipts with the paperwork for everything from having a new key cut to a replacement exhaust back box. There was no mention of a fuel tank swap. It's just a mystery to me how the car ended up with an old patched up tank from an earlier car, and what could have happened to the original with such a low mileage ?
I also found two old half crowns and a threepenny bit under there when I eventually got it out, not an easy job, but the sight of large shiny coins, even though they are worthless now, somehow made it rewarding.
My 27 year old son couldn't believe we used to carry such heavy things about in our pockets all day.

I'm in the middle of changing the picture frame at the moment and will be searching the forum for anything in relation to that before I start bombarding you all with endless questions.
cheers.

#2 Re: Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:14 am
by Gfhug
Hello Casso

Welcome to the forum. As you've noticed lots of friendly, helpful advice on here.
Can't answer anything about the fuel pump, but I like your find of old thru'penny bits and half crowns, all I managed to find was a two-shilling piece.

Tell us your name and where you are and there maybe someone in your neighbourhood who could help with on the spot advice. Who are you getting the picture frame from?

Geoff

#3 Re: Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:49 am
by mgcjag
Hi Casso...welcom to the forum i to have a 69 2+2 check out the dates on those Half crowns.....there are some vary rare dates missing...think from memory a 1952 is a specisl one....you never kniw your luck

#4 Re: Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:09 am
by casso
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
The half crowns are too corroded to be worth anything if they were rare, one is 1962 and the other either 68 or 63, it's too pitted to tell which. The three penny bit is even worse, it was so crusty I thought it was a washer at first.
After doing a bit of research and also chatting to a previous happy customer, I ordered the replacement picture frame from a company called Fab E.Type. I have no affiliation to them whatsoever but wouldn't hesitate in recommending them to anyone. The replacement they made is perfect in every detail, but I was also impressed by them requesting I send photographic evidence that the car existed and I owned it, and also close ups of the original frame number before they would go ahead and re stamp the new one in the same place. E.Type values must make them an obvious target for cloning and it reassured me to know they were not just making and selling them for anyone who asked.
I'm at the stage where the bonnet is safely removed and stored along with the radiator, but I've had to put things on hold because, according to the Mr's, it's absolutely vital the spare bedroom that nobody ever uses, is redecorated before Christmas.
I don't really mind, the E.type is now a 'hobby' car, although it was my daily driver up until 2003 and I've still used it regularly since. I like to read up for a few weeks if I'm planning anything major on the car anyway, so I'm confident in what lies ahead. I bought a 94 XJ40 Sovereign to run around in in 03, it was a great car but rusted away before my eyes. I replaced that with a rust free 93 Jaguarsport XJR in 2011 which I still have and use daily so I'm not exactly slumming it. I think it's a great car and I intend to keep it until they rip my driving license up.
It was £1500 and I still find it hard to believe I got so much car for so little money.
I'm sure I had the same feeling in 78 when I handed over the £2000 for the E.
Cheers.

#5 Re: Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:14 pm
by PeterCrespin
Gfhug wrote: all I managed to find was a two-shilling piece.
Geoff
Begging your pardon and by your leave, that there be a florin!

Kids nowadays...what can you do? Mutter, mutter...

#6 Re: Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:29 pm
by Gfhug
Sorry Peter, but 'twas only a two bob bit not a Florin. But I suppose you can remember the Cartwheel pennies :lol:

#7 Re: Found a Lucas 2FP fuel pump in my 69 2+2.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm
by SEJohnson95
Oh the joys of decimalised currencies eh? :bigrin: dealing with three currencies in a day-to-day basis is interesting mind you, juggling exchange rates and the like, working out when I should send money back to my English account!

Welcome to the forum Casso, you'll find plenty of info, advice and stories on here :)