Start it or tow it?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Phil2+2
Great Britain

#1 Start it or tow it?

Post by Phil2+2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am

My ‘68 2+2 restoration project that has been dry stored for over 75% of its life is about to lose its currents home so I’ve got to relocate it.. hopefully to home if I can make space. I’ve had the car for 5 years now and have cranked it over by hand regularly without issue although I’ve never tried to start it…… but I’m itching to try! The car hasnt been started for about 20 years so what could possibly go wrong. All I’m looking to achieve here is to start it up drive it 100ft onto a trailer and then turn it off. Ha!
So assuming the clutch isn’t stuck and the carbs aren’t blocked and I can get clean fuel into it with half a dozen sparks all at the same time is there anything else I should consider or should I just secure the help of half a dozen blokes to push it on to the trailer?
Thanks
Phil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Start it or tow it?

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:08 am

Hi Phil....for the sake of just getting it onto a trailer i dont think its worth the effort...fresh fuel..battery...get it started...clutch?..then brakes...wiil it stop as you drive on.....2 can push quite easily......Just my opinion...but you could pull the spark plugs...slip it in gear and "drive" it on the starter motor.......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#3 Re: Start it or tow it?

Post by Simonpfhc » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:50 pm

:yeahthat:

Or just winch it on.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Start it or tow it?

Post by MarekH » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:52 pm

It'll be quicker to push it onto the trailer. One way to go "uphill" is to take a couple of old square wooden fenceposts and lever it it along inch by inch so you can't ever roll back downhill. The bigger the fencepost, the more leverage you have.
Phil2+2 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am
so what could possibly go wrong...?
Plenty. Even with a relatively fresh car, it's generally not a great idea to start it and then not get it up to temperature properly. There are so many additional factors on top of just running the engine - like rusted calipers, perished rubber - the list might be quite long.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic