Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#1 Rim Tape and Inner Tube Sizes

Post by rfs1957 » Mon May 06, 2024 10:39 am

There was a promising thread here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18319&p=148960&hili ... pe#p148960

that got side-tracked into a debate about tubeless vs tubed, which I don't want to stir up again, hence the new post.

I can't find any specific reference to rim-tapes that is much help in sourcing them, and think it would be useful to have a post where this info was all in one place.

The people who seem to have the most experience with our kind of cars, and who regularly engage with us, are Longstone, which is where my last set were fitted, but as I'm now in the land of Michelin tyres I'm getting the tyres fitted here, and having to feel my way a bit.

I'm using XVS Michelin 185/80 x 15 tyres with Michelin inner tubes, reference 15 F 13 which is a) the right size, and b) has the oblique-exit valve.

Dougal at Longstone confirmed the tube reference, and confirmed that they did NOT use any tape up on the outer shoulder of the rim, but DID use one in the well in the centre.

I found Heidenauer 15" x 38mm wide rim-tapes easily enough, BUT in fact the inner well is more like 12" - 13" in diameter so the 15" are way too slack and I will have to find smaller ones.

I'm intrigued by the fact that if there's no rim-tape used on the shoulder, where most of the spoke-heads lie, why bother with one in the wheel-well - where there are so few, especially as the exit-hole for the valve is not protected or cushioned by the rim tape either ?

I'm hoping these questions will attract a reply from Dougal to lay some of the myths to rest once and for all.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rim Tape and Inner Tube Sizes

Post by Heuer » Mon May 06, 2024 10:58 am

Rory

Ray Livingston has perfected sealing wire wheels and has documented his process here:
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/e-type- ... t/89240/26
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/e-type- ... rois/86306
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#3 Re: Rim Tape and Inner Tube Sizes

Post by paydase » Mon May 06, 2024 2:37 pm

Rory,
Thanks for this interesting question.
I am also intrigued by the non covering of the outside shoulder where most of the exit-holes, and potentially protruding edges from the bolts, may damage the tube.
I am wondering whether the edge of the tyre may prohibit the tube to approach these holes and hence protect the tube.
Maybe also the valve exit-hole is not dangerous for the tube as it is reinforced in the valve area but better check that the edges of the hole are smoothened.
I also hope that Dougal will bring an answer.
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rim Tape and Inner Tube Sizes

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm

The tyre rim covers the spoke heads on the rim...decent rim bands available from MWS or longstone....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic