Page 1 of 3
#1 Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 pm
by 288gto
Does anyone know if the rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts, Jaguar part number C20481 are unique to an E type or can ones from different models be used? Unfortunately it looks like the guy that reconditioned the diff has managed to lose them
Along with brand new chrome wiper bezels with the chrome coming off before even touching the car and a new heater control valve that looks like a five year old made it, I'm a little disillusioned with this whole restoration malarkey.
Any help much appreciated.
Simon
#2 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:30 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Simon...give AJS a call..Alan will know and will probably have something to suit.......hope it wast him that lost them....
http://www.ajsengineering.com/Index.html he specialises in diffs
#3 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:04 pm
by 44DHR
Simon,
Yes, unfortunately the inner fulcrum mounts are unique to the E type and becoming increasing hard and expensive to find these days.
As the Salisbury 4HA diff is used by many models, it is this casting which determines the lower suspension links aspect and the diff's nose angle relative to the diff casting's constant and unchanged top cast angle and in what model of car it is being used.
For example I have done several XJS 2.88 diff swops into E Types and it quickly becomes apparent when you try to align the shafts into the mounting cage that the correct E type casting have to be used - and then correctly shimmed to the diff.
Regards,
Dave
#4 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm
by vrracing
You might try
Welsh Enterprises in the States. They have a big Jaguar salvage operation and with the US being the primary destination for e-types there is a good chance they'll be able to help you.
Jim
#5 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:50 am
by 288gto
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have found some ( a forum member) but unfortunately not in this country.
It was a bit frustrating that the little time I had available over Christmas was sabotaged by poor quality parts that had to be sent back. An order that still wasn't ready and someone losing my parts!
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.
Simon
#6 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:27 am
by 1954Etype
Simon,
try Alan Slawson at AJS engineering. He might have some lying around.
Angus
#7 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 am
by 44DHR
Hi Simon,
I hope your search is going well and you will source these items.
I forgot to say that there are variations of these Inner Fulcrum Mounting Brackets for the E Type and I can't see if you mentioned your model.
The brackets for the 3.8 E Type differ in design to the 4.2 E Type as they have small extended mounting lugs with holes in on each end facing inwards for the Tie Plate. These lugs are deleted in the later castings. These 3.8 brackets are extremely hard to find now.
Regards,
Dave
#8 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:53 am
by 288gto
Thanks, Dave, Angus and others.
I'm now a reluctant expert on the part numbers for these.

At one point I thought I'd found some on E bay for £35 each but they are c2048
0 As opposed to C2048
1. They look very similar but are actually different. I thought it was too good to be true.
Anyway, hopefully I've now found some, just waiting to hear back from the guy.
Simon
#9 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:08 pm
by dal2.0litrefrogeye
Just for the record I got an email this morning from Denise Welch racing Annnnd they now do the fulcrum bracket in Ali and steel . ....
Which is annoying because a month ago I would of bought the alloy ones .. grrr

#10 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 pm
by 44DHR
Very interesting if these are being re-manufactured, but they will still need to be accurately set to the diff and aligned with the cage with the shims.
I tried to search in the Denis Welch Motorsport website, but can't see them on there yet. Any idea of a price as the prices I have been seeing at Spares Days were frankly getting ridiculous, (£200 to £350 for an original cast 3.8 pair) ?
Cheers,
Dave
#11 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 pm
by mgcjag
#12 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 pm
by 288gto
https://www.bighealey.co.uk/rear-suspen ... le-jrax320
If I've read this correctly, they are £239.00 each?
Simon
#13 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:01 am
by 44DHR
Thanks for the links.
Yes, Simon, I have just been on their website and if these prices are each, a pair with 20% UK VAT applied would be £574.80 for the Iron ones and £708.00 for the Alloy ones, plus any packing and shipping charges.
Makes my Spares Day originals at between £200 and £350 look positively cheap !
Regards,
Dave
#14 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:51 am
by 288gto
Alas, I thought I had managed to source replacement brackets but it's not looking hopeful. I offered up a C20480 but as Dave says, it is completely the wrong angle. Another low point in the restoration.
Simon
#15 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 am
by 44DHR
Simon,
So sorry to hear of your continuing troubles.
I would personally go back to the person who refurbished the diff and question the "loss" with the increasing knowledge within the Classic community of the criticality and value of these parts being used to turn XJS and other Jag diffs into "E Type diffs". There is no good reason to remove these mounts - especially if the diff is to replaced back into the same cage as they are shimmed and then wire locked to suit the individual car. Also they are an integral part needed to work on the diff as they hold it as a stable unit when setting up the critical tolerances. Without them the diff becomes a difficult and unbalanced lump to handle.
I hope you get a resolution - to at least the question as to why they were removed.
Regards,
Dave
#16 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:42 am
by Maikel
Hello,
I have a similar problem,
Having a very early 3.8 with the diff missing.
What is the part number of the early brackets?
The C20481 I have on my 4.2 but I just use the diff with those for the early 3.8?
What exactly distinguishes them?
Does it matter if I use a Dana or Salisbury diff?
The distance tubes also vary in length, what about the gap of the inner fulcrum side.
Thanks
Maikel
#17 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 am
by 44DHR
Maikel,
I am unsure of the part number for the early 3.8 Inner Fulcrum Mounting Brackets, but as you can see in the photo below, they are a more "delicate" casting with the addition of the extra lugs which bolt to the Lower Bracing Plate under the diff and are less "chunky" than the 4.2 Brackets. You believe you could use the later brackets once they are shimmed to suit the mounting cage, provided the mounting cage holes for the shafts can be aligned, but these don't have those extra lugs which I suspect Jaguar deleted as unnecessary on the later cars as the Bracing Plate is located with numerous bolts. Incidentally, I cribbed that photo from Ebay listing for a empty E type Diff, (but offered with the all important - and perhaps now much more valuable - mounting brackets), which finished this week - just type in "E Type Diff" and click on Sold Listings.
All the 3.8 and 4.2 E types used Salisbury Diffs and although I know about the internals on the later Dana diffs and their difference Pinion flange to the Propshaft, I'm uncertain on the external casing and would not expect a Dana to have the same external dimensions and mounting configuration to suit a 3.8 or 4.2 E type mounting cage.
As regards the Distance tubes, these do vary in length depending on what Fulcrum bracket is fitted in what vehicle application, and the correct tube needs to be matched to the bracket being used to keep the dirt out of the shafts, seals and bearings. For example the XJS uses a different bracket to produce a different angle for the pinion nose relative to the horizontal, so the tubes match the gap between the two pivot surfaces on the respective bracket design.
regards,
Dave
#18 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 pm
by 288gto
Dave,
Thanks very much for that info. I'm assuming that perhaps the casting was changed to enable them to be used in various models but with the locating holes machined in different positions to suite the car or cage they were going into.
Simon
#19 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm
by Maikel
Hello Dave,
I have seen that foto on Ebay. I am not sure but those brackets and diff. case are looking different to my.
The bracket seems to have one one hole near the center as the brackets I have seen do have two holes in order to use them on both sides. Those brackets on the pic can used only on one side each right?
Also the diff I have seen do have a little bit visible "platform" on each side where you mount the cage to the diff. On that pics it looks a bit different.
Am I wrong. The rest what you can will be right. I just wonder if those brackets would be correct for 3.8 and/or 4.2.
Thanks
Maikel
#20 Re: Rear inner fulcrum shaft mounts.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:56 pm
by dal2.0litrefrogeye
Over to Simon the current casting numbers expert on fulcrum bracket s and champion of diff internals into diff casing .
Remember to type with your hood up and in your best nasaly print
