Page 1 of 1
#1 broken automatic fly wheel or drive plate
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm
by Maikel
Who of you driving an automatic, ever checked the fly wheel?
I had a complete engine overhaul and a totally renewed auto gear box.
The fly wheel looked perfect until reassembly when we discovered this.
Now, being in process of installing the engine as one of the last things to do, this is another p.i.t.a.
I expect a non professional repair would end up in an unbalanced undrivable experience.
Two questions,
How does this failure occur, all four holes are cracked around.
Where to get a flywheel from?
The parts book states C25412 but on the wheel is 32352

#2 Re: broken automatic fly wheel or drive plate
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:52 pm
by AussieEtype
A heavy right foot is a typical cause. A cracked auto flex plate is actually quite common on many vehicles - feel the weight of a torque converter full of oil and you appreciate how much load the flex plate has to carry. On Range Rover P38 and Landrover Discovery it would almost be considered normal to have flex plate failures.
It is something I would always check (and replace as a precaution) whenever engine and auto are separated. Having said that when I last had mine apart my flex plate was OK and continues in service bolted to a Chev flywheel serving as the starter ring gear for my 5 speed conversion.
garry
#3 Re: broken automatic fly wheel or drive plate
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:14 pm
by JD-JAG66
I think the part number you require is C18517*. Then again I've been know to be wrong.
I have one which came with my 1966 2+2 4.2 automatic, which I can sell if you want. My car (minus engine) had been in storage since 1983 when I got it with that flywheel inside a box of parts.
If you're interested, just PM me.
Have a great weekend
#4 Re: broken automatic fly wheel or drive plate
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm
by Hugo
Very common failure point on automatics of that era. If you're careless mating the engine to the gearbox you can put stresses on this flex plate, but even if you're careful they don't really need an excuse to crack around the holes in service. I would imagine they are some kind of spring steel - you wouldn't want to weld it or try & make one out of an old piece of scrap metal!
Incidentally, I regard the fluid flywheel as one of mankind's most brilliant inventions. Who could dream up an idea like that?