Page 1 of 1

#1 Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 pm
by Turnip
I'm not sure how "technical" a question this is, but anyway...
Has anyone any suggestions as to where I can get a suitable piece of hardwood from to use in the front cross member channel when jacking up the front of the car? I've only found places that require me to buy about half a mile of the stuff, or want to charge me pallet delivery for an 18" stick.

Or do most people just use softwood?

Simon

#2 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Simon...you must have a local joinery shop around that make doors/windows/furniture etc....find one and ask them to cut a piece to your measurements......you really want hardwood.....oak is ideal......dont use softwood it will just get chewed up..... Steve

#3 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 pm
by abowie
1" hardwood garden stake. Or you can use a plastic one.

#4 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 pm
by chrisfell
I don't jack on the cross member. Instead I use the rear most lower wish bone mount and a soft pad of folder newspaper on the jack.

#5 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:52 am
by Mikael B
I have used RHS profile - I think it was 30x30x2 and used plastic sound deadening material (with glue on one side used on the floors inside). Tacked this on 3 sides, not the side where you use as lifting point, and it made a nice tight fit into underside of the front frame. Secured the profile at the ends with plastic strips for a permanent installation.

I did this solution to my OTS more than 10 years ago (changed the plastic strips once) and now I have done the same for my newer 2+2.

#6 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:20 pm
by chrisc261
Hi Simon,
I use a timber called iroko - very hard, very durable, looks just like teak. I keep mine permanently in place in the cross member. I don't know if you are going to Goodwood on Sunday, or are ever in the New Forest, if so I could machine it to the appropriate dimensions for you as I have plenty. All the best, Chris.

#7 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:50 pm
by MarkM
Hi Simon,
XKs Unlimited manufacture a protective jacking wood for the picture frame. Part no. 9735.
Cost is 19.95.

#8 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 pm
by Turnip
Gosh, that's a wide selection of suggestions.
If I can't get anything local using them I'll look at a trip to the New Forest (thanks Chris). It should be safe now that summer is gone.

At the moment I use a piece of 1" square steel bar, which is a bit heavy for long-term installation.

Simon

#9 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:50 pm
by Series1 Stu
Iroko is good. It has a lovely grain pattern but, surely, it must be English Oak. Which is what I used.

:wink:

#10 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 am
by chrisfell
" I'll look at a trip to the New Forest (thanks Chris). It should be safe now that summer is gone."

And..

"but, surely, it must be English Oak"

Anyone else made the same connection? There are an awful lot of oaks in the New Forest........

#11 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:06 am
by Bob.
Try Bob Peacock on 024 7630 7411 or 3311. He was selling them alongside his wheel balancing cones at the last two Stoneleigh spares days.

#12 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:03 pm
by ChrisC
Replacement Garden seat hardwood fits you only need to cut it to length - I used teak but there are other options of course

#13 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:35 pm
by Heuer
The Service Manual says:

Image
Image

#14 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:49 am
by Hugo
I am told that 'hardwood' is not necessarily harder than softwood. Balsa is a hardwood I believe. Something to do with cell structure?
When I had my picture frame off recently I straightened out all the lips that had been bent over by careless jacking, stuck a chunky piece of pine in there with strong mastic, then screwed a 1/4" thick strip of aluminium under that to jack against. Havent tried it yet though.

#15 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:58 pm
by Mark Gordon
You're correct that the terms hardwood vs. soft wood has little bearing on the hardness of the lumber that their parent trees produce, although hardwoods do tend to be harder than softwoods. Yellow pine (a softwood), is harder than tulip poplar, a hardwood. Horticulturally, the difference is that hardwoods lose their leaves seasonally while softwoods retain their leaves or needles.

#16 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 pm
by Series1 Stu
My understanding of the definition of a hardwood is that it comes from a tree that sheds it's leaves. Deciduous, I believe is the term.

So yes, balsa is technically a hardwood.

Your solution is good Hugo but I would be slightly nervous about the mastic letting go. I used a chunk of Oak and cable tied it in place.

Regards

#17 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:15 pm
by Hugo
I run a few coaches and they are all stuck together with this PU mastic stuff. The frame is welded stainless steel but the body panels, the roof and the boot floor underneath are all just stuck on. I cut some holes in the roof some time ago to fit roof lights. That mastic is so strong that you would tear the aluminium skin before the mastic let go!

#18 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 pm
by Bobb
My piece of pine (fairly soft) has survived for decades. I cut it to fit and lined the upper part with heavy felt.

#19 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 pm
by Hugo
Felt. Hmmm. Nice moisture trap.

#20 Re: Front cross member jacking wood

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 pm
by Bobb
I don't leave it installed. It's only when I use the floor jack.