#1 Replacing bonnet support frame
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:17 pm
Hi all,
So whilst my engine and gearbox are out (following a reverse idler gear failure) I thought I would get on with sorting out the under-bonnet area whilst it is easily accessible.
It looks like a bit of rot has taken hold of the front frame (is this what is often known as the 'picture frame'?) which supports the bonnet and radiator. The area where it has gone is at the front offside where the radiator support is fixed to the bottom rail.
I have 3 questions (well 4 actually)....
Firstly any thoughts on where best to get a new one from? I see that SNG Barratt do them as well as SC Parts and wondered if they are all much of a muchness in terms of fit etc?
Second, when I remove the old one from the main engine frames, do I have to worry about losing alignment of the engine frames since they both bolt to the front oblong section using the same bolts that hold the front frame on and obviously I will need to remove these bolts?
Thirdly, any tips or advice?
Finally, I assume I will also have to realign the bonnet?
Thanks in advance,
Brian
So whilst my engine and gearbox are out (following a reverse idler gear failure) I thought I would get on with sorting out the under-bonnet area whilst it is easily accessible.
It looks like a bit of rot has taken hold of the front frame (is this what is often known as the 'picture frame'?) which supports the bonnet and radiator. The area where it has gone is at the front offside where the radiator support is fixed to the bottom rail.
I have 3 questions (well 4 actually)....
Firstly any thoughts on where best to get a new one from? I see that SNG Barratt do them as well as SC Parts and wondered if they are all much of a muchness in terms of fit etc?
Second, when I remove the old one from the main engine frames, do I have to worry about losing alignment of the engine frames since they both bolt to the front oblong section using the same bolts that hold the front frame on and obviously I will need to remove these bolts?
Thirdly, any tips or advice?
Finally, I assume I will also have to realign the bonnet?
Thanks in advance,
Brian