Page 1 of 1

#1 Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:07 pm
by Yeldaw
Hi, I came across this site when looking for a replacement bonnet and was wondering whether anyone has had one of these bonnets fitted nd if there were any issues. The price looks very reasonable http://www.mphmotorpanels.com/e-type.htm

#2 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 pm
by cactusman
Sadly no experience...but it won't be simple...the bonnet will have to be carefully fettled to fit your car....and your torsion bars will need to be reset as the weight on the front of the car will be markedly less. Nice once done though...so long as they are as good as they looks.. :bigrin:

#3 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am
by phil.dobson@mac.com
I looked at this company when I needed a new bonnet. They have a good reputation, lead time was an issue for me an I ended up using Rod Jay. As the previous comment they will (should) require your car to fit the bonnet to it. Yes the suspension will require a tweak to adjust for the reduced weight. You should also consider how much more delicate an ali bonnet is compared to steel. So depending on how you use it etc etc.
Happy to post photos of mine if it is of use/intrerest

Best regards

#4 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 am
by Yeldaw
Thanks Phil, I would be very interested to see photos of your bonnet.

#5 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 am
by mgcjag
Hi Dave..on this restoration thread the poster fitted his own ali bonnet with lots of photos...unfortunatly due to photo bucket they have all gone...worth contacting him to see if he could help you.. Steve viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6087

#6 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:59 am
by Yeldaw
Thanks Steve I have sent him a PM

#7 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:40 pm
by Sven
I did an English wheeling course with Geoff Moss at MPH Motor Panels (thoroughly recommended if you are into curved aluminium!). He is a proper old-fashioned craftsman, trained at Aston Martin.

I seem to remember that the trailing edge was left oversize for you to trim to fit (tricky if you have shiny paintwork though?).

Having seen how long they take to make, they are worth every penny!

Richard

#8 Re: Aluminium bonnet, has anyone fitted one of these

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 pm
by Yeldaw
Thanks Richard for the feedback, I would definitely take the option to get them to fit the bonnet to the car.

Dave