Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Durango2k
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Germany
Germany

#1 Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by Durango2k » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi all,

In a bit of a hurry yesterday (after two hours in the fridge) I finally fitted the bonnet locks and the pins plus their female counterparts.

Now, it seems as if the pin would be way to far forward. Hard to take a picture, but its about 1/2 inch or a bit less, but about that.

What can I do- did I put something the wrong way up here ?

Image

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#2 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by christopher storey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Unless I am getting confused with the photo, your locking bar/pin appear to be the wrong way up. The horizontal bar should be at the bottom, and the spigot which carries the pin should be at the top

here it is on my FHC
Image

and on my OTS
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Durango2k
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Germany
Germany

#3 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by Durango2k » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes you‘re right - that was it.

Now, these buggers are a pain to adjust !

LH side is fine after an hour, RH side is difficult. I will have to restore the locking snail, because it is worn a bit, and so it cannot pull down the pin. I have set the part on the bonnet as far up as can be, and still 3-5 mm play. It was very worn before, or someone had cut it out. I welded some stuff onto it, but it seems not enough- will add more.

Overall, a very flexible but tricky-to-get-right-construction. Were the outside bonnet locks even worse ?

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

malcolm
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am
Location: Fleet
Great Britain

#4 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by malcolm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm

By the way Christopher, your cars look amazing! Has the underside of the blue bonnet just been restored?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Gfhug
Posts: 3862
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty
Great Britain

#5 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by Gfhug » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:50 pm

Malcolm, you may notice the blue one is without windscreen wipers. Whether Christopher relies on Rain-X or never goes out in the rain or, just maybe, the photo was after restoration work?
I do agree with your comments though

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#6 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by christopher storey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:21 am

Malcolm and Geoff - yes , the blue fhc had just been totally rebuilt and I took that photo during the course of reassembly - note no heater duct etc. The red job is in fact moderately shabby - what in the USA is called a " nice driver" - it just shows how photos flatter a car !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

politeperson
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Boston UK
Great Britain

#7 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by politeperson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:08 am

Carsten,

More the he point-

Why were you in the fridge for 2 hours? I hope it was switched off.

It must be a large one. I hope.

Havent a clue about the pins, sorry. If the bonnet lines up, they might just need rearranging somewhat.

James
Finishing off an S1 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Durango2k
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Germany
Germany

#8 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by Durango2k » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi,

This is „the fridge“:

Image

No heating, some leaks, thin roof, wooden shed door with lots of leaks. Outside, -8 degs, means about -2 inside. Yes, you can work there on the car, but for about two hours, and only things which are not too small nor require hand touching metal. I am wearing 4 layers of clothes on top, and 2 trousers.

I have however coined a sentence in the now 27 years which I work there in just this shed:

„If you do not work in winter, you will not drive in summer“.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

politeperson
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Boston UK
Great Britain

#9 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by politeperson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Carsten,

You need a nice woodburner like I have.

Lovely
Finishing off an S1 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Durango2k
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Germany
Germany

#10 Re: Bonnet locks : pin is way to far forward ?

Post by Durango2k » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:44 pm

...which would need a chimney, and which might kill me with carbon Monoxide. It‘s a very old yard, and my cars are un- insured at the moment, if it burns down I loose about 80 grand. Thats why they all have disconnected batteries and i switch of the electrics when I leave and so on. Better safe then sorry.

I do have a diesel heater, 40kW from a construction site. Problem is it sprays diesel, works a while burning it, but it drips slowly, which in turn means the air in the shed becomes grey, and I am sure this shortens my lifespan, more then getting cold :-), so I do no longer use it. Even a pro could not fix this- maybe I have to research the issue a bit more next summer.

Seriously, working in „the fridge“ has one advanteage- when we have family breakfast, everyone freezes-despite hot tea- and demand me to ignite the oven in the house. I can go on in a t-shirt, but they, including missus, need their oven burning plus clothes plus tea. I don‘t.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic