Page 1 of 1

#1 No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm
by Djerome60
Hi and happy easter,

I have an issue with my series 3 2+2 from 1972. I have just finished the restoration and the first drive test is not encouraging as the gearbox (automatic) does not not upshift.
It works well when i change manually from 1 to 2 or D to 2 or even the downshift from 2 to 1 or if i star on 2 and change to D but on D i have no upshift.
I checked oil level, vaccum horse connection but no success.
I guess the modulation, Governors might ne faulty, sticky.... i hope at least.

Any idea?
Thanks.
Jerome

#2 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:06 pm
by JD-JAG66
I presume you changed the gearbox oil and oil filter?
I had the same problem on another car - automatic gearbox - but this was solved by changing oil and filter. Then again, I probably got lucky...

#3 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:13 pm
by Djerome60
JD-JAG66 wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:06 pm
I presume you changed the gearbox oil and oil filter?
I had the same problem on another car - automatic gearbox - but this was solved by changing oil and filter. Then again, I probably got lucky...
Thanks. Yes i changed oil but where is the gearbox oil filter ?

#4 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:54 pm
by JD-JAG66
Salut Jerome,

Inside the Automatic gearbox. Check your gearbox type. If will probably be a Borg Warner model 8. If so, then order a new gasket part no 107281 and filter part no 10726 (=numbers from the SNG Barratt website) . Drain the oil, drop the sump and undo the filter retaining clip so you can replace the oil filter. Please make sure you keep the magnet in the sump!
Pending on what you find once the sump is off, a thorough clean might be a good idea?

Have a great evening
Jan

#5 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:30 pm
by christopher storey
This being a V12, I doubt that it is a Model 8. I would think that it is more likely to be a Model 12 BW .

#6 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:40 pm
by JD-JAG66
Ooops. Assumed your car had the same autbox like mine. My bad. :mrgreen:

#7 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:47 am
by Djerome60
JD-JAG66 wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:40 pm
Ooops. Assumed your car had the same autbox like mine. My bad. :mrgreen:
Thanks.
my gearbox is indeed a 12 BW. I was wndering after you first advice if i had another filter that i might have skipped but not. The filter which is at the bottom was cleam when i "check" the trans before to filt it back on the car.
Thanks again for your help.
Jerome

#8 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 am
by driver
when i replaced the front seal my auto box i drained all the oil etc,the box was out of the car for about 2 months in total.when driving after refitting i had a similar problem.I got in touch with the The Auto Gearbox Co.and spoke to one of their engineers,here,s what he said,Ah thats a normal problem ,just flooor it in the gears and it will soon change up so thats what i did and it worked!
Not the most technical remidie but might be worth considering. :hammer:

#9 Re: No upshift auto transmission

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 pm
by Djerome60
driver wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 am
when i replaced the front seal my auto box i drained all the oil etc,the box was out of the car for about 2 months in total.when driving after refitting i had a similar problem.I got in touch with the The Auto Gearbox Co.and spoke to one of their engineers,here,s what he said,Ah thats a normal problem ,just flooor it in the gears and it will soon change up so thats what i did and it worked!
Not the most technical remidie but might be worth considering. :hammer:
Thanks. I actually did it and no change. I'm going to drain it agian, remove the sum, check the filter again, i'll change the governor and try again.
Tanks again.
Jérôme