Page 1 of 2

#1 Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:23 pm
by kgb123
Evening all,

Re the below image. Can anyone tell me if what I'm referring too as a "Bump Stop" is available to buy as a stand alone assembly? The complete assembly is a hard rubber, almost circular bush, mounted in a metal holder which is in turn welded to the bracket assembly

Image

The R/H and L/H sides appear to be welded onto the bracket assemblies for mounting the IRS cross member. I do have the original Jaguar parts catalogue for my 2+2. The brackets are BD2860 and BD2861 for R/H and L/H respectively. However the images in the catalogue do not show these "bump stops" as part of the assembly.

The ones I have on my car have suffered from corrossion where they've been welded on. The brackets on each side are in good nick with only minor repairs needed, so I'm keen to source replacement.

Also whilst on here. I've a part number for the "rear" jacking point from the Martin Robey catalogue. Are the 4 jacking points all the same or are rear different in shape/fitting to front?

Thanks

Kevin

#2 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:32 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Kevin...my car is a 69 2+2...i did buy the rubber bumpstops they have one or two studs on top to fix to the brackets.....my brackets were ground off....im sure you can get the bracket assembly ive seen them as i was going to get a pair but never got around to it...Steve
Edit https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... 6a7a4235e3

#3 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:32 pm
by cactusman
Mine is the same....bracket ground off. I did ask Angus about it and he said simply don't bother with them... :bigrin:

#4 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:10 pm
by 1954Etype
I haven’t had them on any of my cars and never needed them. Now if someone can tell me why l do, I’m happy to be educated!😊

#5 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:57 pm
by kgb123
Good enough for me gents, the considered opinion of three learned gentlemen indeed. I'll run without them.
Thanks for your replies
Kev

#6 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:14 pm
by Heuer
Not that simple. If you remove them you need to install bump stops into the rear shocks to compensate: viewtopic.php?p=98599#p98599

Jaguar installed them to protect the shock absorbers from, well, shocks. You do not want the dampers bottoming out and having metal to metal contact on full compression - that will hurt!

#7 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:25 pm
by chrisfell
No bumps stops on my 2+2. Long time since they were there. In more than 55,000 miles never once have I bottomed out the suspension. With the car fully loaded with 14 days of kit for touring holidays and loads of spares parts (just in case) I’ve grounded the exhaust many times, but never bumped the suspension against the body.

#8 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 am
by mgcjag
Hi Kev...just to clarify....im not advising you leave them off....its just that i never got around to get the brackets and haveing them welded on.....if i was haveing a rear refurb i would re install them.if for no other reason than they were originaly fitted.... Steve

#9 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:12 am
by 1954Etype
I've always believed that if you need the bump stop you would have more serious problems to contend with!

#10 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 am
by Jeremy
I suppose if you are taking hump back bridges at 75mph they might come in handy :shock:

#11 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:22 am
by Heuer
You will not bump the suspension against the body, the shock absorbers will bottom out striking metal against metal internally. You probably won't even notice until the shocks prematurely fail or you realise the handling is off. Nothing to do with taking bridges at 75mph or driving like a lunatic - you can achieve full compression of the shock in a pot hole and given the state of our roads that will not be a rare occurrence. Apart from potential damage they also affect handling. Jaguar put them there for a reason otherwise Mr Arthur Whittaker would have taken the opportunity to delete them and save cash!

I speak from experience as I had three Koni shocks fail within 15,000 miles as the bump stops were missing. I now have bump stops in the shock absorbers and never had a problem since. So for all you flat-earther's who think it is not a problem suggest you watch this:



Just Google 'bump stops' and you will have lots more information plus a huge after-market supplying them. Once you have ground off the stop brackets there is no easy way of going back other than the simple and effective solution of adding the stops to the shock absorber shaft. I have to say the response to my post really surprises me given you all seem right thinking and experienced owners :shrug:

#12 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:20 pm
by cactusman
Wise words David. Guess I'll investigate having the brackets welded back. Some PO ground them off :questionmarks: Mean time gently does it....

#13 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm
by chrisfell
cactusman wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:20 pm
Wise words David. Guess I'll investigate having the brackets welded back. Some PO ground them off :questionmarks: Mean time gently does it....
What was more likely in the case of my car was that rust required the removal of the bump stop bracket, and cost of replacement, compared with a patch cut from a sheet, meant it was not replaced. Your P.O. may have thought the same.

#14 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm
by Heuer
If you want more information on the subject it was covered extensively here: viewtopic.php?t=6421 complete with part numbers and supporting calculations.

#15 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 pm
by Gfhug
My bump stops were removed, presumably, when the fat 205/70 tyres were fitted.
I've searched for the parts shown in that other thread "Ohlins bump rubbers #00563-03" but to no avail.
Does anyone know of where they (or an equivalent) can be found?
Thanks

Geoff

#16 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm
by Heuer
http://resuspension.com/index.php/catal ... q=00563-03

There are probably other makes that will fit but finding equivalents is a problem because Jaguar never specified them for use inside the Factory shock column. So trial and error unfortunately or worth simply buying four of what Eric recommended. Also I am not sure you can dismantle modern Boge shocks so the easiest route is to cut a split in each and slip them on as per Eric's instructions.

#17 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:03 pm
by Gfhug
Thank you, David. I guess I was only looking in the UK, not over the pond

Geoff

#18 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 pm
by 1954Etype
Still not putting them on my car!😊

#19 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 pm
by mark10337
Gfhug wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 pm
My bump stops were removed, presumably, when the fat 205/70 tyres were fitted.
I've searched for the parts shown in that other thread "Ohlins bump rubbers #00563-03" but to no avail.
Does anyone know of where they (or an equivalent) can be found?
For the S2 it is part No. C.25938 available at SNG.
I have it fitted on the rear left but not on the rear right due to a new mount being needed. The rear right makes quite a clunk on the motorway when I go over an uneven part.

#20 Re: Bump Stops in rear arches

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 pm
by johnetype
The irony is that whilst 205 tyres might foul the bumpstops, there's enough "meat" to allow you to grind a little off the brackets and the metal plate in the standard bumpstop so you can keep your 205s if you must and have functional bumpstops.