Page 1 of 1

#1 Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm
by Maikel
Hello

I thought it might be normal as the E Type has no servo. My steering wheel on my 4.2 gives me the impression that it is "locking in".
Also, turning the steering wheel with open bonnet, I can see the tie rod end and rack moving up and down by a total of about 1 cm. Ok we have the rubber mount on the picture frame, but 5 mm in each direction looks a bit wrong.

I do have a spare steering shaft but that als has a slight curve.

Would a straight shaft eliminate this odd feeling and can a steering shaft be straightened?

Not sure if I want to try it as it could also get worse. :hammerdrill:

Who of you has or had the same experience and how did you resolve it?

Many thanks

Maikel

#2 Re: Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:50 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Maikel......Are the wheels on the ground when the bonnet is up...or are they hanging down......if down do you have the modified track rod ends with the extra angular movement.....I think your steering rack mounts sounds like too much movement have they delaminated.... Also disconnect the universal joint at the bottom of the steering shaft and then turn your steering wheel to see if you have any bend in the shaft... Steve

#3 Re: Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:40 pm
by Maikel
Hi Steve,

The wheels are on the ground when I turn the steering and the rubber mounts are moving up an down.
The plate towards the picture frame is fixed but the rubber and the front plate is moving.
I read somewhere that there is some movement but maybe not that much.
I do not feel anything on bumpy roads.
Mainly on smooth tarmac and straight road.

Maikel

#4 Re: Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:20 pm
by mgcjag
Definatly sounds like your mounts need replaceing....a friend of mine was still driving his and didnt notice any problem but both mounts had delaminated and were only held on by the safety bolts.... Steve

#5 Re: Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:52 pm
by Tbob
I straightened my steering shaft, it was bent about the same amount. Just used a press and some gentle nudging. Checked it with a straight edge.

#6 Re: Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 pm
by Maikel
Here is a video of the rack mounting movement

Steering rack rubber mounting movement

It gives you the locking feeling which does not feel nice

#7 Re: Steering shaft bent

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:41 pm
by JerryL770
You can see that the rubber moves with the moving plate of the flexible mount, so the mount is OK.

Definitely need a straight shaft. It may be that the universal joint also is stiff.