Greenstuff Brake Pads

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 Greenstuff Brake Pads

Post by Heuer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Just changed front and rear pads (my car has Zeus 4 pot calipers front, Zeus 2 pot rears) and decided to try the EBC Greenstuff ones. I have to say I am very impressed with both the progressive feel of the pads and their ultimate stopping power. Interestingly they have an abrasive outer surface to 'clean' and condition the disc during the first few applications which seems to be very effective.

Highly recommended and much better than my previous Mintex pads. http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/supersearch.a ... &step2=yes
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:00 pm

Hello again,

very interesting. Do you know if there are different "qualities" of green stuff as I used them as well . I just now got them off as I was replacing them together with new disks in front and I noticed that although they were still in good shape as far as "thickness" was concerned, they had started to deteriorate and even bits and pieces came off. I only have done two thousand km with the car and I was wondering if this could be a mechanical or design flaw or anything else.

I am a little at loss as I really liked them because of their braking power but I now have gone back to classic brake paths.
I still am in doubt as to upgrade them or not to coopercrafts.

cheers
Erik

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Erik

Can't comment as I have only just fitted them and run for a few miles but it sounds like a faulty set. Many people have good experience of them on Jag-lovers so do a search on 'greenstuff' over there, or post a question.

EBC also do Redstuff pads which are harder material - maybe they are worth a try?

David
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfi

#4 Green stuff pads

Post by alfi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Eric, I have 2000 miles on the fronts and 1200 on the rear of my S111 showing no ware, maybe yours have suffered overheating at some point, worth checking. In my case they were the only pad not to squeek under breaking. Good luck with the answer Alfi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:39 am

I was told the following by a very senior motor industry engineer.

Pads can suffer from moisture absorption if used infrequently or not hard enough to get them up to temperature. This can cause them to break up and in the worse case scenerio the pad material can come away from the backing plate.

If a car has not been used for a long time it is always work changing the pads even if they look fine - unless you live in Arizona of course.

He also told me lots of other interesting stuff about disk brakes but I'll spare you that here.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice.Very interesting. Problem is that I do not believe that I fit in any of the scenario's. Overheating, possibly on the back brakes as I suffered that indeed once but not on the front ones. Not frequent driving, depends on what is meant by that but I have taken my e-buddy out every week for a one to two hour drive each as well as drive a few trips of a 400 km or so, so I believe I used them quite frequently (although that is off course very relative). I also know ( as I regularly do it on purpose ) that I put them to the test and made sure they were used properly.

so, thanks guys for all of this , I still believe they are good and that probably as you mentioned it should have been a faulty set. I am now about to sue more "classic" pads and will let you know.

Bye the way, Andy, I can never hear enough wisdom from the experts so if you know more about brakes etc. , bring it on !

cheers
Erikantwerp

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic