Which panel supplier?
-
ollieoscarsid
Topic author - Posts: 81
- Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 am

#1 Which panel supplier?
Hi all, just about to get stuck in to the panel work of my 63 fhc after having it stripped. It needs fwd floors, boot floor and outer sills due to minor corrosion and a left front wing and bonnet underpants due to damage. Just wondering who the preferred suppliers are as there’s a few with the prices varying significantly. There also seems to be a variety of quality and fit, I’m a fabricator by trade so can deal with most issues, but something somewhere near to start with would be nice. Advice from those already been through this would be appreciated. Thank you.
1963 S1 opalescent silver blue
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2 Re: Which panel supplier?
This might not be a popular post but it is based on my experience. Others might differ but panel quality has been my main gripe undertaking the restoration of my S1 2+2.
I think almost all UK-made panels are from one ultimate source which bought up all the E-Type tooling. I have given up buying UK panels in frustration as the parts I have received are often a very poor fit and often way out.
As I am paying money I have to earn elsewhere to have my car restored, I might well be in a different situation to you, but spending hundreds of pounds on remedial metalwork for new replacement panels gets old very fast. If you are capable of fettling yourself, this might not be so much of an issue.
As a result of my frustration, I have taken to importing parts from Monocoque Metalworks - http://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/main/- in the US because the quality (and attitude) is bang on. Even allowing for shipping, import duty and VAT, it is probably ultimately cheaper than paying a restorer to put things right. But it also matters to me using parts made by someone who cares, not least where things are structural.
Were I ever to restore an E-Type again, I'd try to do a deal with Chuck and see if he could add my panels to a container already coming this way. If you have a significant number of pieces to buy it might be worth having a conversation with Chuck at Monocoque.
However, I do try to buy British and use UK craftsmen where I can: I did buy the E-Type Fabs engine frames which are faultless, and other suppliers (such as Fosseway) have been very good, too.
Peter
I think almost all UK-made panels are from one ultimate source which bought up all the E-Type tooling. I have given up buying UK panels in frustration as the parts I have received are often a very poor fit and often way out.
As I am paying money I have to earn elsewhere to have my car restored, I might well be in a different situation to you, but spending hundreds of pounds on remedial metalwork for new replacement panels gets old very fast. If you are capable of fettling yourself, this might not be so much of an issue.
As a result of my frustration, I have taken to importing parts from Monocoque Metalworks - http://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/main/- in the US because the quality (and attitude) is bang on. Even allowing for shipping, import duty and VAT, it is probably ultimately cheaper than paying a restorer to put things right. But it also matters to me using parts made by someone who cares, not least where things are structural.
Were I ever to restore an E-Type again, I'd try to do a deal with Chuck and see if he could add my panels to a container already coming this way. If you have a significant number of pieces to buy it might be worth having a conversation with Chuck at Monocoque.
However, I do try to buy British and use UK craftsmen where I can: I did buy the E-Type Fabs engine frames which are faultless, and other suppliers (such as Fosseway) have been very good, too.
Peter
Peter
1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S
1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3 Re: Which panel supplier?
I can only second what Peter has said.
I notice you mention that you have experience in fabrication which will come in useful.
I lost count of the hours and hours I spent making replacement panels fit and even resorted to making smaller parts myself.
You only have to look through recent posts about even minor panels such as the ashtray holder being totally the wrong size and shoddily made to see what you are up against
If I had to have paid for the rework and extra time fitting parts multiple times the bill would have run into the thousands if not tens of thousands.
Trial fit everything and make sure all alignment issues with adjacent panels are addressed before blindly welding away.
Chuck at Monocoque mentioned above makes some high quality and accurate replacement parts but shipping ,duty and exchange rates came make smaller orders expensive.
Hutson make there own sills which while not as good as Monocoque ones are a lot LOT better than the Robey ones which I’m sorry chaps are quite frankly rubbish in every respect.
Search “sills” on here for lots of info and pics
In their defence the only Robey panels that fitted surprisingly well were door skins.
This might all seem a little negative and I am a bit fussy about gaps and panel fit, but it was my somewhat frustrating experience. Don’t let it put you off, it can all be overcome.
Have fun!
Simon
I notice you mention that you have experience in fabrication which will come in useful.
I lost count of the hours and hours I spent making replacement panels fit and even resorted to making smaller parts myself.
You only have to look through recent posts about even minor panels such as the ashtray holder being totally the wrong size and shoddily made to see what you are up against
If I had to have paid for the rework and extra time fitting parts multiple times the bill would have run into the thousands if not tens of thousands.
Trial fit everything and make sure all alignment issues with adjacent panels are addressed before blindly welding away.
Chuck at Monocoque mentioned above makes some high quality and accurate replacement parts but shipping ,duty and exchange rates came make smaller orders expensive.
Hutson make there own sills which while not as good as Monocoque ones are a lot LOT better than the Robey ones which I’m sorry chaps are quite frankly rubbish in every respect.
Search “sills” on here for lots of info and pics
In their defence the only Robey panels that fitted surprisingly well were door skins.
This might all seem a little negative and I am a bit fussy about gaps and panel fit, but it was my somewhat frustrating experience. Don’t let it put you off, it can all be overcome.
Have fun!
Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS
1969 S2 OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#4 Re: Which panel supplier?
Strange, isn't it. All my panels on my FHC rebuild came from ( and in fairness were fitted by ) Hutsons, and the one thing that everyone comments on is the wonderful panel fit . Added to which they are all made in zintek and thus are very corrosion resistant, at the Hutson factory in Poland . I have never seen the monocoque metalwork ones and thus cannot comment. However, I have never been disappointed with any of the Hutson panels and thus recommend them highly
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5 Re: Which panel supplier?
“ fitted by Hutsons”
I think that’s a big part of it Christopher. I can’t thank Andy enough for all the advice he has given on how to make these panels fit and letting me look at cars in the workshop.
I’ve restored a few cars but panelling up an E type correctly is definitely a challenge all of its own.
A small example was Andy’s guide to grinding back the seam on the inner and outer sill where the chrome trim goes otherwise the door won’t shut properly. Too late when it’s painted!
All little tricks and tips learnt over a lifetime of restoring these cars.
Ask a well known Bridgnorth supplier for advice on fitting their panels, why it won’t fit or if it’s the right size.
By the way, Hutsons zintec sills are excellent quality but still need tweaking. Andy will tell you that himself.
Monocoque ones are a better shape but alas not zintec. I’ve gone for Hutsons zintec and a bit of tweaking.
It’s also worth pointing out that Hutsons fit a lot of Robey panels.
Simon
I think that’s a big part of it Christopher. I can’t thank Andy enough for all the advice he has given on how to make these panels fit and letting me look at cars in the workshop.
I’ve restored a few cars but panelling up an E type correctly is definitely a challenge all of its own.
A small example was Andy’s guide to grinding back the seam on the inner and outer sill where the chrome trim goes otherwise the door won’t shut properly. Too late when it’s painted!
All little tricks and tips learnt over a lifetime of restoring these cars.
Ask a well known Bridgnorth supplier for advice on fitting their panels, why it won’t fit or if it’s the right size.
By the way, Hutsons zintec sills are excellent quality but still need tweaking. Andy will tell you that himself.
Monocoque ones are a better shape but alas not zintec. I’ve gone for Hutsons zintec and a bit of tweaking.
It’s also worth pointing out that Hutsons fit a lot of Robey panels.
Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS
1969 S2 OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6 Re: Which panel supplier?
I know we don't name and shame here but, in fairness and for the avoidance of doubt, Hutsons were not my supplier.
Peter
Peter
Peter
1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S
1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ollieoscarsid
Topic author - Posts: 81
- Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 am

#7 Re: Which panel supplier?
That’s all very helpful chaps, thank you. Prior to posting I’d pretty much decided to go with Hutsons, they were very helpful with my enquiries and very honest regarding the fit and adjustments required which for me goes a long way. There pricing seems more than competitive too. I’ve no doubt the monocoque parts are good, although I’m not sure they make a great deal in house but ‘tweek’ other manufacturers bits. Would be interesting to find out how many of the suppliers actually press there own larger panels or if they all come from one central manufacturer with original tooling. Thanks again. Chris.
1963 S1 opalescent silver blue
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8 Re: Which panel supplier?
Hi Chris,
Any panel you get from Hutsons that is green/grey etch primed or zintec is their own panel including the bonnet centre sections. Every black panel is more often than not Robey.
Chuck at Monocoque used to buy in a lot of panels and then make them fit. He got so fed up with them he started making his own. Everything you see on his site other than bolt kits is made by either him or Bret.
Uryk at Evolution E types got so fed up with the quality of practically any part he bought, panel or otherwise, that he set about manufacturing in house pretty much every component he uses to build his cars. Unfortunately for us these parts are only for his cars, he won’t sell anything to anyone else. I have tried.
As said, if you can do the work yourself that’s great, but if like Peter you are buying a panel for £500 and then paying another £500 just to make it fit, the cost and frustration can soon mount up.
I can see both sides of the labour aspect of the bodywork having spent hundreds of hours doing it myself ready for the paint shop.
I do however think that some places, once they see you have an E type think you’ve got a bottomless pit of money!
Simon
Any panel you get from Hutsons that is green/grey etch primed or zintec is their own panel including the bonnet centre sections. Every black panel is more often than not Robey.
Chuck at Monocoque used to buy in a lot of panels and then make them fit. He got so fed up with them he started making his own. Everything you see on his site other than bolt kits is made by either him or Bret.
Uryk at Evolution E types got so fed up with the quality of practically any part he bought, panel or otherwise, that he set about manufacturing in house pretty much every component he uses to build his cars. Unfortunately for us these parts are only for his cars, he won’t sell anything to anyone else. I have tried.
As said, if you can do the work yourself that’s great, but if like Peter you are buying a panel for £500 and then paying another £500 just to make it fit, the cost and frustration can soon mount up.
I can see both sides of the labour aspect of the bodywork having spent hundreds of hours doing it myself ready for the paint shop.
I do however think that some places, once they see you have an E type think you’ve got a bottomless pit of money!
Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS
1969 S2 OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



