Page 1 of 1

#1 [SOLVED] How to insert the big cooling hose down the rad?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:53 pm
by paydase
I am refurbishing my cooling circuit and I am stuck with this damned hose.
It will not accept being inserted as it cannot come axially into the rad inlet, being constrained by the rad.
I have tried silicone grease, heating it, no way!
Any tip?

Image

#2 Re: How to insert the big cooling hose down the rad?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:48 pm
by abowie
Yep that's a bastard. Took me an hour to install that lower clamp once.

You can try installing the central metal tube and seeing in that gives you a better angle and more leverage. Otherwise take the radiator out.

#3 Re: How to insert the big cooling hose down the rad?

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:42 am
by paydase
Thank you Andrew.
I already tried with the metal tube but it didn't work, I will try again. Strange design not allowing easy maintenance...
Otherwise, I considered removing the rad but the threads of some screws/nuts on the top brackets look dead. May have to drill in...

#4 Re: How to insert the big cooling hose down the rad?

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm
by paydase
Problem solved.
I finally managed making it from underneath, but it was a pig!
Look how off-axis it looks after replacement.

Btw, the usuals provide an additional hose in the hose kit, which is very useful to replace the "accordion look" hose going from the carbs rail to the expansion tank.

Actually the accordion hose they deliver is not flexible enough to be easily inserted and the preformed hose they offer instead fits just right.