Post
by abowie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 pm
While the usual advice with the Reynolds tubing is that it cannot be repaired, this applies to repairing holes or accident damage to the tube itself.
The problem you have here is that the brazing has cracked between the mild steel gusset and the tube. With the caveat that the tubing itself is sound and isn't rusted out or otherwise unservicable I would be comfortable getting someone with the appropriate skill set to repair the brazing. I have had similar cracks repaired on frames over the years without any ongoing problem.
As to whether it could be done in situ that would be up to the person doing it. Again, I have had had one crack successfully repaired on the car. The advantage to removing both the frames in my view would be that you could get both frames grit blasted and this would allow you to thoroughly inspect them and ensure that they were otherwise completely sound. The other opportunity while the engine bay is stripped is to succumb to Shipwright's disease and do any other cosmetic or mechanical work that you feel is necessary. Assuming you're in the UK that could all easily be done over winter.
Once repaired you would just keep an eye on the joint to ensure it doesn't crack again. Although we spend a lot of time discussing frames on the forums I don't think that they fail; I have never seen one or heard of one fail catastrophically while a car is being driven. Replacement frames only seem to be required to replace frames that are found during restoration to be unservicable due to internal rust.
WRT Robey's frames I can tell you that I have used 2 sets on my own cars and at least 3 or 4 more on other cars and have never had a problem with them. Uryk's frames have their fans and are by reputation very well made. I have seen one set of them and they looked to be well constructed but were not easier or harder to fit to the body shell than Robey's frames. One of their selling points is that they are "upgraded" and stronger, but to me for an upgrade to be worthwhile it must provide some tangible benefit and as the standard frames don't seem to fail I am not convinced that the significant extra cost is of benefit to me.
Last edited by
abowie on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia