New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
GSR 54D
Great Britain

#1 New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by GSR 54D » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi all

I’m hoping someone can give a little bit of magic with opening an ots boot after cable pull failed within a day of fitting.

Yesterday took what looks to be the original non locking boot pull cable out (57 years old!) and fitted an sng locking cable BD27158 into my 1962 ots. All went well with slightly enlarging the hole for the pull knob and within 30 mins all working perfectly. Today went to open the boot and the pull knob came fully out disconnecting itself from the cable without opening the boot lid!!

Looking at the design I’m wondering if I have to make a hole in the body work behind the seats close to the puller so I can get to the cable from inside the boot, any thoughts please?

It has been mentioned there maybe a way to release the catch but is that possible on a 1962 ots?

Thanks John H.

John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#2 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by JulianBarratt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi John, I have sent a message to our head technician to see if he knows a trick here to get the boot open and will come back to you tonight if we do. Maybe someone on here will come back to you before then.
Either way, we will give you a bell in the morning to get the cable back and work our what’s gone wrong...
Thanks and apologies

Julian Barratt
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#3 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by 288gto » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 pm

John there are a couple of ways to do it. On a 62 there should be a hole behind the number plate that you can put a bent screwdriver through and also if you remove the interior light in the rear bulkhead and shine a torch through, you can use a long rod to push the mechanism across. Both methods require a degree of patience.

I had exactly the same thing happen with a Barratts boot release :cussing: Mine did last 2 days though.

I bought a couple of original ones at Spares day so have one spare if it's any use. Not as nice and shiny as your lovely new one but at least the handle doesn't come off in your hand! :lol:

Simon
Last edited by 288gto on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#4 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by 288gto » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Pic.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#5 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by 1954Etype » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:20 pm

If you don’t have a hole there, drill one!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by Gfhug » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:09 pm

288gto wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 pm

I bought a couple of original ones at Spares day so have one spare if it's any use. Not as nice and shiny as your lovely new one but at least the handle doesn't come off in your hand! :lol:

Simon
Simon, if John doesn’t want it can I add it to my list of items, please?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
GSR 54D
Great Britain

#7 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by GSR 54D » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Julian, thanks for quick reply regarding the issue and yes let’s make contact tomorrow thanks.

Simon, I will try your suggestions tomorrow, regarding your offer of an original that’s very kind, if I may i’ll speak with sng and come back to you via pm.

Geoff, hands off you’ve plenty of other work to do before arriving at boot cables!!!!! See you at Denbies...

John H.
John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#8 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by 288gto » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 pm

GSR 54D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Geoff, hands off you’ve plenty of other work to do before arriving at boot cables!!!!! See you at Denbies...

John H.
I couldn't believe it myself John, you post a question in a situation of crisis and all Geoff can think about is parts for his own selfish needs! : :wink: :lol: :lol:

You know I'm only kidding Geoff, it's yours if John doesn't want it.

John , somewhere on Jag Lovers, there is a bit more in depth guide to this. If you are struggling, pop the interior light out and get someone to guide you. Having swapped the cable you should be familiar with the lock mechanism so it shouldn't be too hard. The trick is to get the screwdriver flat end horizontal up against the cable trunnion and push sideways so the handle goes towards the petrol tank side.

Best of luck,

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
GSR 54D
Great Britain

#9 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by GSR 54D » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Update:

After further research I managed to open the boot latch via Simon’s suggestion of a hole behind the number plate although in a slightly different place, see picture. This position enables one simple push of the screwdriver onto a latch plate which immediately opens the boot. This bypasses the lever which connects the wire to the plate.

To give credit to sng they contacted me earlier today, as Julian quoted, offering technical support and also initially wanting the component returned to them for examination. After further contact from sng they confirmed their technician had looked at other boot lock cables from the same batch I had and agreed they weren’t up to their normal standard. (I bet the handle came off the cable in their hands too!). Myself and sng representative discussed points about the visible connection between handle and cable which are being addressed. I look forward to the uprated version because currently I wouldn’t want to accept a straight replacement having been through yesterday!

John H.

John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by Gfhug » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:01 am

John, all this means you'll not be needing to take up Simon's offer then? :bigrin:

Glad you seem to have got this sorted and Barratts are looking into the problem.
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
GSR 54D
Great Britain

#11 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by GSR 54D » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes Geoff....we are in collusion and are hatching a plan for you!!
John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
GSR 54D
Great Britain

#12 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by GSR 54D » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 am

As an update, sng have sent an improved boot cable which naturally I’ve checked and fitted. All appears ok and so an eventual satisfactory outcome of which I’m grateful that sng were honest and accepted this product wasn’t initially up to their standard.

Thanks to Julian Barratt for being pro active after reading my thread, an advantage of having retailer participation on this forum....

John H.
John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#13 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by 288gto » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:48 am

That’s great news John.
Again in fairness to Julian, once he gets involved personally, things do seem to get sorted. As I’ve said before, the frustration for buyers and I’m sure for Julian is that faulty products get sent out in the first place.
The fact that Julian is happy to discuss these issues with members and look at improving quality control is definitely a step in the right direction.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shovelled
Great Britain

#14 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by shovelled » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:50 pm

I know this is an old thread, but yesterday I pulled out the release cable from my S3 when I forgot to put the mallet back. Didn't know how to fix it and didn't want to damage the boot lid. From the other posts, I figured out how to do it on a UK spec car (1973). You take off the number plate lens and chrome cover. There is then a tiny hole you can just about stick your figure in and feel for the release lever (4). Then stick a small screwdriver in so you can give it more force. Press down lightly on the boot and it should click and open.
1967 Series 1 manual OTC
1973 Series 3 auto OTC
:drinkingcheers:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phoenix
Great Britain

#15 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by phoenix » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:11 pm

I went to a cycle shop and bought one for £3 . It was a slightly larger diameter but after a little fettling it worked great .
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mephistopheles
Germany

#16 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by Mephistopheles » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems opening the trunk lid of my S3 OTS yet. However, to be able to rule this out in the future and to be on the safe side, I attached a strong cord to the opening lever of the trunk lock and laid it up to the right rear light housing and fixed it there with an adhesive tape. If the release cable should break at some point, I only have to unscrew the right rear light, pull the cord and the trunk lid opens. The whole thing acts as my „emergency-opener“ without contortions and pinching fingers. :wink:
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shovelled
Great Britain

#17 Re: New locking boot cable hasn’t lasted a day! Now unable to open boot

Post by shovelled » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:08 pm
However, to be able to rule this out in the future and to be on the safe side, I attached a strong cord to the opening lever of the trunk lock and laid it up to the right rear light housing and fixed it there with an adhesive tape.
So many people would say......well I might get around to it.
But its such a pain to do it and so fiddly.
Great idea of yours to stick a fishing line to pull it open.
1967 Series 1 manual OTC
1973 Series 3 auto OTC
:drinkingcheers:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic