Page 1 of 1

#1 Gearbox Oil

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:53 pm
by ian68
Gents, very simple question I know but what grade/type of oil do you use for the gearbox of a series 1 4.2?

I know it's not EP 80/90 but is it the same as the engine or a specific monograde?

Thanks,

Ian

#2

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:09 pm
by Heuer
Jaguar recommend engine oil - 20w/30 or SAE30.

#3

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm
by christopher storey
Ian and David : David Marks has stated unequivocally at the E type seminars that the recommendation of engine oil is a misprint which has been perpetuated over many editions , and that the correct oil is 75/90 EP . Certainly the oil in my gearboxes smells like EP so I have never dared to alter it

#4

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 pm
by Heuer
I stand corrected! The supplement for the 4.2 does indeed say SAE 70EP or EP90 oil. Jaguar recommended engine oil for the Moss box I believe but I defer to David Marks.

#5

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 pm
by ian68
Thanks gents, the reason I asked is that the oil in my box smells like EP too but I had read the manual and it stated 20W30 or SAE 30 as per Davids reply.

As such I was a little confused! One of my Land Rovers takes engine oil in it's box so I know it's not unusual!

Cheers,

Ian

#6

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:30 pm
by christopher storey
David : just to clarify, David Marks was referring to the 4.2. I don't know what the recommendation is for the Moss

#7

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm
by Echezeaux
I had 70/90 in my Moss box, not knowing better and always felt that the box was heavy to shift, not knowing better !! and going by the smell of the previous oil !!
Until I read the manual ! and changed it for SAE 30 . Great move !!
Not as smooth as the 4.2 all synchro, but way lighter to shift.
So.. now you got me :? !

Thierry