Page 1 of 1

#1 Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:48 am
by Thim
On my 67' s1 2+2 E, the subframe mounting on the IRS is alot wider than what they should be. (bought from SNG) been 8 years since i started restoring the thing, and I can't remember if it had shims beween the mountings and the car. SNG sell these shims (C17228), but is this really correct to use?
Do anyone know if I can get some mountings that do not need shims to fit? I have troubble thinking that Jaguar had to shims absolutley everything to make it fit...

#2 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:51 am
by mgcjag
Yes they all have shims to centralise the IRS.....Note Jaguar service manual.....remove IRS.."note the packing shims when you remove the mounts"

#3 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 am
by 288gto
There is a company on E bay selling stainless ones and lots of other stainless shims, that’s where I got mine from and cheaper than the big usuals.

Simon

#4 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 am
by abowie
Put one shim on each side; you need 8 in total.

As you do the bolts up on the mounts they bend in to be a perfect fit to the chassis.

#5 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:08 am
by tim wood
Just searched this on eBay. The seller is TLJwelding-ukhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-IRS-Mount-Shi ... Sw9m5cReps

Seems to have some useful stuff.

#6 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:49 am
by johnetype
abowie wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:40 am
Put one shim on each side; you need 8 in total.
I agree you need 8 but not necessarily one shim on each side. When I took my IRS apart which was still on it's original mountings there were two shims on one side and none on the other. When I put the IRS back with new mounts I put one shim on each side. Having done it all up, I could see that I'd stressed the metalastic blocks to one side. I put the shims back as I'd removed them, i.e. two on one side and none on the other, still total of 8 and the blocks lined up perfectly and unstressed.

#7 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:23 am
by AshM
I agree with John.

When I dropped the IRS off my car (first time off since factory fitted) I had three shims on one side of the bracket and one on the other and then a different combination on the other side of the car. So I don't think there is a single standard for the shims - it will be a bit of trial and error to get the best fit without, as John states, unnecessary strain on the rubber mounting blocks.

regards
Ash

#8 Re: Subframe mountings (shims??)

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am
by Thim
Thanks for the info guys! I'will be ordering some shims then :)