Page 1 of 1

#1 Fuel filter, which type?

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 am
by Shaguar
Whilst carrying out a general inspection of the fuel system I notice I don't have a paper element filter in the glass fuel filter housing :?: Checked in the Haynes manual and it talks about a wire filter at top of the glass bowl which requires cleaning. When did it switch to paper elements :?:

#2

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 am
by Heuer
Original was a wire gauze disc but it is no longer available I believe. The paper element is the standard substitute. There should also be gauze filters in each SU and a gauze filter in the tank sump.

#3

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:20 am
by 38E
Not sure when the paper element was added but my '62 has just the gauze.

I have the nylon screen on the tank pick-up and added a small in-line aftermarket filter which fits discreetly in the front right corner of the spare wheel well. In over 10 years of use I've never seen any dirt or sediment whatever in the glass bowl of the AC filter. It's still perfectly clean.