#1 Bonnet hinge shims
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 pm
Hi Guys.
I have a series 1 FHC.
Not sure if I have an issue or whether I am fundamentally doing something wrong...
I have just fitted a new set of engine frames (from Etype fabs) and started the bonnet fitting last night. It goes to the paint shop on Friday for final body finishing then paint (exciting times)
Right now to get the bonnet-sill gap even from front to rear - I am needing to insert nearly 1cm of shims on top of the hinge to lift the bonnet up at the front. This seems a lot to me.
I would imagine that once the frames are fully loaded with the engine, suspension and bonnet etc that they would flex slightly upwards and therefore lift the bonnet a little but I dont know by how much.
I am also aware that I can tilt the bonnet frame up slightly using shims between the bonnet frame and the picture frame but my old frame used no shims at all - hence my dilemma on how to do the fitting.
Can you guys take a quick look at your bonnet and give me a feel for the amount of shims you have in place ON TOP of the hinge?
Or perhaps shimming the bonnet with a totally empty shell is simply the wrong way to do things.... any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
I have a series 1 FHC.
Not sure if I have an issue or whether I am fundamentally doing something wrong...
I have just fitted a new set of engine frames (from Etype fabs) and started the bonnet fitting last night. It goes to the paint shop on Friday for final body finishing then paint (exciting times)
Right now to get the bonnet-sill gap even from front to rear - I am needing to insert nearly 1cm of shims on top of the hinge to lift the bonnet up at the front. This seems a lot to me.
I would imagine that once the frames are fully loaded with the engine, suspension and bonnet etc that they would flex slightly upwards and therefore lift the bonnet a little but I dont know by how much.
I am also aware that I can tilt the bonnet frame up slightly using shims between the bonnet frame and the picture frame but my old frame used no shims at all - hence my dilemma on how to do the fitting.
Can you guys take a quick look at your bonnet and give me a feel for the amount of shims you have in place ON TOP of the hinge?
Or perhaps shimming the bonnet with a totally empty shell is simply the wrong way to do things.... any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers