Page 1 of 1
#1 Steering rack issue
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 am
by Kingkitesurf
There is play in the passenger side of my steering rack. The wheel has movement and it rolls up to the steering rack at the top of the rubber sleeve you see the movement. I suspect therefor that. The copper bush is gone. Questions i have:
Is it the copper bush most likely?
What else can it be? How can it be solved?
Does it mean i have to get the bonnet, radiator out of the way and remove the rack?
What would be the best solution?
Thanks to you experts and experienced enthousiasts...
#2 Re: Steering rack issue
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:44 am
by Tom W
I removed the rack on my car (Series 2) without removing the radiator. It’s a while since I did it so I might have missed a couple of points. I had to remove the cooling fans, disconnect the anti roll bar and possibly remove the top hose so the radiator could be tipped forward. I also removed the steering column at the same time, and I can’t remember how much of what I removed was to get the column out. I was removing a power steering rack, which is a lot bulkier than the manual rack. I didn’t have to remove the bonnet, but being a late car, my bonnet had a gas strut, so no balance links in the way.
The only thing that supports the rack bar in the housing at the passenger side is the bronze bush. Is it the rack bar itself that’s moving relative to the rack housing, or the whole rack assembly relative to the front frame. Also, check for movement in the inner track rod joints, and that the track rods are tight on the rack.
#3 Re: Steering rack issue
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:44 am
by tim wood
If it is the bush, and it seems likely, then it can be replaced. I believe it needs to be pressed in ( not hammered!) and may need reaming to size.
The rack can be removed with bonnet in place.
Tom has described it well. Make sure that you have a good fitting Allen key for the column Universal joint. You don’t want to butcher this bolt.
Probably an idea to replace the mountings at the same time with good quality units, don’t forget the fail safes.
#4 Re: Steering rack issue
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:12 am
by johnetype
..but do check you're not mistaking movement in the rubber rack mountings for movement in the bush. If you hold the end of the rack housing in one hand and the track rod through the rubber gaiter in the other you should be able to feel any play.
Or slide the end of the gaiter off the rack housing and watch directly for any play or use a dial gauge if you have one.
#5 Re: Steering rack issue
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 am
by tim wood