Page 1 of 1
#1 Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:36 pm
by Tony
Would the toe and camber settings be the same for a 185/70/15 tyre and a 215/70/15 tyre. My 215/70/15 tyres are showing wear on the inner edge of the tyre. Should I have more toe in and less camber.
#2 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:34 am
by bitsobrits
Tony,
Generally, I would say 'yes' to your question as to whether the settings should be the same for those two tire widths. But if the the inside edge wear is considerable, less camber may be in order. Excessive toe (in or out) should show as 'feathering' across the tread surface, not just the inside edge.
But what are your starting points for toe and camber? And what is your intended use of the car? I'm assuming you are running radial tires, though some do not, and that would have an impact on settings as well.
FWIW, I run 215/65-15" tires on 6.5" rims, with 1.25 (nominal) degrees negative camber (front) and 1/8" total toe. Car is lowered 2" in front and 1.5" rear from standard. After 15k miles on the current tires I'm getting a very slight, not really noticeable, but measurable, wear on the inside edge of the front tires.
#3 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:11 pm
by chrisfell
If this was my car, before I tried to alter the geometry, I’d just check one thing that always causes the inner edge of tyres to wear - worn lower ball joints. Only if these are perfect, and the tyre pressures are correct, then I’d try measuring and fiddling with the geometry.
As I have never and never will put my car on the track, I would not deviate from the standard settings, even for wider tyres.
#4 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 pm
by madjack4
Hi i would get the tracking checked again these new laser alignment machines are great if the person using them is capable of using them, and they haven't been dropped ive been tracking customers cars for the last 35 years with a dunlop tracking system (basic) always set everything parallel unless the car is driven hard toe in a bit rear wheel drive toe out a bit front wheel drive never had a problem
Regards Rob
#5 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:47 pm
by Tony
Thanks everybody for the comments. I could take it in to be tracked but I could only tell them the recommended setting for 185 tyres and not know if it should be different for 215s. Unless the garage is very up on E types would they have a clue.
Thank again and any more comments welcome.
#6 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:38 am
by mgcjag
Hi Tony....in your first post did you really mean 185/70/15.....this isnt the standard size tyres.....its 185r15 which are full profile and not 70%....i assume it was a typo.........its really going to be suck it and see.....use standard settings and then trial and error. ....all the best....Steve
#7 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:48 am
by Tony
Cheers Steve. The reason I used a 70 profile is I assumed the profile of mine was the same but the width was wider. Are you saying my tyres should be full profile, not 70%. Interesting if so.
#8 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:38 am
by mgcjag
Hi Tony.....you first mentioned the 70 profile on the 185 tyre in the first line of your original post....i was questioning if this was correct.......the standard 185 tyres used on Es are the 80 profile. .....yes i think the wider 215 in a 70 profile give a similar diameter as the 80 profile 185s......Steve
#9 Re: Toe for different width tyres
Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:23 pm
by Tony
Cheers Steve. Look after yourself . I am learning slowly
