#1 Quick questions about S3 IRS rebuild
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:23 am
Hello, I am helping a friend rebuild his S3 E type . We are at the point where we will rebuild the IRS shortly. I am fairly happy but have a few questions - looking for pointers and helpful comments from others who have done this ..
1/ the wheel bearings are supposed to have between 2 and 6 thou free play according to the manuals we have. I am normally accustomed to putting taper rollers in with a preload.( admittedly this is on FWD cars).. Is this because the carriers are aluminium - and the differential expansion needs to be accommodated. When it gets up to running temp the free play goes? or is there some other reason?
2/ We separated the water throwers from the back of the hubs. Now it seems impossible to get them to snap back on the retaining step on the hub. Anyone have a good method to achieve this ? I am not sure If heating them will work? Has anyone used this method successfully? or is there another method...
I am sure we will hit other issues and no doubt be back for tips and advise.. Many thanks for any help..
1/ the wheel bearings are supposed to have between 2 and 6 thou free play according to the manuals we have. I am normally accustomed to putting taper rollers in with a preload.( admittedly this is on FWD cars).. Is this because the carriers are aluminium - and the differential expansion needs to be accommodated. When it gets up to running temp the free play goes? or is there some other reason?
2/ We separated the water throwers from the back of the hubs. Now it seems impossible to get them to snap back on the retaining step on the hub. Anyone have a good method to achieve this ? I am not sure If heating them will work? Has anyone used this method successfully? or is there another method...
I am sure we will hit other issues and no doubt be back for tips and advise.. Many thanks for any help..