Page 1 of 1

#1 SNGB feeler gauge set

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:46 am
by Vonkie
I searched in vain for answers, both on the web and here, so apologies if I missed the info in some post.

The standard toolkit, which SNGB replicates, comes with a feeler gauge set with 3 blades, stamped 4, 6 and 8. They are quite thin, but I seem unable to measure them properly with what looked like my dad’s old micrometers I salvaged from his stuff. In desperation, and as an experiment, I used the number 8 to set the fast idle screws on the carburettors as my choke was out of whack after a gearbox job at the mechanic that had entailed removal and refitting of the whole engine. The choke works well now, about which I am seriously chuffed. I am very much no mechanic.

Now I am very curious. What are the sizes of the 4,
6 and 8 feeler gauges? I was looking for a two thou, but I think these are a bit thicker.

#2 Re: SNGB feeler gauge set

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:40 am
by mgcjag
Hi Frank.....originals would be in thou (inch)......i have no idea how accurate yours are...you need to invest in a digtal micrometer...and a good set of feeler guages.....they dont cost very much....Steve

#3 Re: SNGB feeler gauge set

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 am
by Mich7920
Hi,
4 = 0.004" / 0.10mm
6 = 0.006" / 0.15mm
8 = 0.008" / 0.20mm
Mich

#4 Re: SNGB feeler gauge set

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am
by Vonkie
Thanks Mich, so the numbers are ‘thous’ then - 4, 6 and 8 thou? Then my gap is a bit wide.... But the choke works well now!

#5 Re: SNGB feeler gauge set

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 am
by Mich7920
Hi
Yes it's thou.

Image

If your choke works well like that, I won't touch it.
" The better is the ennemy of the good"...
However, you can go back if the new setting is'nt correct.
Mich