Stub Axel Wear

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Stub Axel Wear

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:13 am

Its not uncommon to find wear on the front stub axels where the inner bearing has been spinning on the axel....i cant remember seeing an axel from a car that has a fair few miles on it that dosnt show this wear.....and ive replaced stub axels and bearings in the past.....It has been mentioned here befor about useing a tapered spacer that slides over the stub to "lock the inner and outer bearings to the stub axel".......so during a new refurb i decided to go the spacer route....it is quite commonly used on other makes........fine adjustment of the bearing endfloat is achived with shims added to the spacer........One of our Australian members first alerted me to the spacer dureing bearing discussions here on the forum....he runs a restoration shop and makes up his own spacers ......I had a look around and found them available in the UK as an "Upgrade " from Rob Beere, Dennis Welch, & SNGB......others may also have them...couple of photos below of stubb wear from bearing spinning and spacer on a stubb....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Stub Axel Wear

Post by mgcjag » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:31 pm

Just an update....this same bearing spacer can easily be modified(ground down a bit) and used on xk140/150 the stub axel is a bit different to E types....I could not find a source of spacer to fit the XKs...also adding this link which has some good fitting info....Steve viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19518
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#3 Re: Stub Axel Wear

Post by rfs1957 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:47 pm

Good connection between two threads, thanks Steve.

Could the one I’ve just contributed to be perhaps moved from Series 3 into Technical, as it’s applicable to all the Series, no ?
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Stub Axel Wear

Post by mgcjag » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:32 pm