Car radio

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Harveysearle
Great Britain

#1 Car radio

Post by Harveysearle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi Guys
I am sorting out the wiring for my radio and speakers for my 1967 series 1, 2+2.

I am thinking of buying a classic car radio from Classic Car Stero.
The radio is a Classic 200
It’s got all the bits on.
I want to put two speakers in the footwells in the A posts.
2 tweeters in the corner of the dash, also two speakers in the two panels behind the seats.
Anyone got any ideas on speakers.
What speakers (size wise) go in the footwell cut outs.
I would like to get the whole set of speakers with a decent sound.
Do you think it would also be worth getting an amp to go with system.

Any info would be great thank you.
Don’t bother making comments about listening to the engine exhaust sound instead lol.

Thanks guys

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#2 Re: Car radio

Post by Joes66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:25 am

Hiya
I recently fitted one of these radios
Its actually quite difficult putting any sort of decent speakers in an e type
And there is a lot of wiring on the back of this radio as well as it has a lot of functions
I researched what others had done and really there is limited scope to fit a decent set
Treble isn't the problem really but the A post fitment is straight forward
Its base really thats the problem
I fitted 2 speakers to the centre console next to the radio and then an active flat panel sub woofer under the passenger side foot well
Without the sub woofer you just can't get any sort of base due to the size and depth of the speakers you can squeeze in
I couldn't see anywhere I could fit decent sized rear speakers
I considered a FLY active sub woofer to go in the luggage area but it would have looked out of place
One other thing is that I would recommend fitting a dedicated suppressor for the radio and a better active DAB ariel
The one that comes with the radio is a bit poor being one of those small sick on the window things
Joe
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Harveysearle
Great Britain

#3 Re: Car radio

Post by Harveysearle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi jo
Thanks for that.
What’s the radio like is it any good.
Did you get 4 inch speakers for the A posts.
The two shaped side panels on our 2+2 will take two speakers behind the seats. The last person had them in there as there are holes left.
Also what make of speakers did you put in.
Cheers
Thanks harvey

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#4 Re: Car radio

Post by politeperson » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 pm

Harvey,

I think the best idea is one of the new powerful rechargeable wireless portable speakers that connect to your phone via bluetooth.

You can get some very powerful ones with a battery life far in excess of any journey you might make.

They also integrate with calls as well on you phone.

So, not only can you stream music from Spotify of whatever, you have handsfree as well. and literally thousands of internet radio stations.

You can also fit a proper period radio in the slot as well that doesn't work but looks correct if you want.

No wiring is required, mine lives behind the seats in the storage box when used in an E type, so it is effectively invisible. It is also closer to your ears that the console floor mounted speakers on the original set up.

I can also use it on all my other old cars as well.

You can add a USB wire to the car for charging on the move very easily if you want of course.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Harveysearle
Great Britain

#5 Re: Car radio

Post by Harveysearle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Cheers james

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Car radio

Post by rswaffie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi,
I went down the hidden Bluetooth receiver/amp route. 4 channels and small enough to allow decent pioneer speakers to be fitted in the centre console holes. I did need an extra module with the amp to allow it to work with positive Earth. Then I fitted Pioneer TS-G1310F Speakers (without their stock grilles) into the B post pockets, making my own grille to cover them.

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Harveysearle
Great Britain

#7 Re: Car radio

Post by Harveysearle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Wow
Nice job
Thanks for the info

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#8 Re: Car radio

Post by vee12eman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi,
Not sure if a Series 3 is different, but here are the speakers on my Series 3 2+2:

I used the original grill from the Kenwood speaker as supplied, flattened it and secured it behind the panel. I seem to remember the speaker was grey and very visible, so I lightly spray painted it black. Also, to get the biggest speakers in that I could, I had to slightly trim the speaker chassis, using snips so that I did not create iron filings which would have inevitably ended up on the speaker magnet.

Incidentally, the Series 3 includes the speaker wires in the loom and that's where they come out.

The Radio is a modern from Custom Autosound, which you can customise by moving the knobs in or out relative to the tuning dial - if you take measurements, you can have it assembled to suit straight from the box. It came without a fascia, so I simply cut a piece of stainless steel, then sanded it carefully in a horizontal direction to get a "brushed effect". Takes USB and the current range are also Bluetooth - mine has a blukit, allowing me to connect my iPhone via a 30 pin connection and adaptor, a little clunky, but workable.

Regards,

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#9 Re: Car radio

Post by Joes66 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am

2+2 shells are all the same i think
I dident look behind those side panels
So I may fit a pair of speakers there
But looking at yours they seem very similar to the ones I fitted to either side of my radio consul
Very shallow dish which don't give any meaningful base
I couldn't find any speakers that gave good base in any of the dimensions that would fit
Joe
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#10 Re: Car radio

Post by vee12eman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 am

The space is hollow, so you have the whole rear wing behind there. I doubt there is a larger hollow space in the car, probably bigger than the space behind the door trim.

For more bass you will need a sub woofer under a seat or one of the modern custom units which would look pretty out of place.

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

#11 Re: Car radio

Post by GSR 54D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:29 am

For info, just fitted a Classic Car Stereo 200 (auto sound) in my ots using an autosound DAB/FM powered cable splitter on my traditional telescopic metal aerial (£20). The results using DAB radio stations have been successful. Firstly using the powered supply didn’t work but disconnecting the power did, so for about £8 you can buy a passive cable splitter on eBay instead which appears better made! (the autosound splitter is flimsy with very thin wire and is also cheaper on eBay). Secondly having the aerial partly extended had intermittent signal but fully extended worked continuously. I also dismantled the aerial fixing point and made sure the aerial mounting surface under the cars metal wing was free from surface rust. All in all very pleased, the fm signal from the 200 is the best definition and volume followed by DAB, the Bluetooth streaming is slightly less tonal and quieter. When listening to playlists on Bluetooth one can skip tracks using the radios rh knob which saves messing with you phone when driving. I’ve attached the phone microphone under the steering wheel mounting bracket area which I’ve yet to check out when driving at speed but works fine stationary.

John H.
John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#12 Re: Car radio

Post by johnetype » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 am

If you fit two speakers in the centre console the way Richard and Joe have done you will loose a lot of bass as the two small speakers work against each other and cancel out the bass. Given that it's bass you desperately need to get a good tonal balance this is significant. However, you may find you can mitigate some of the loss by reversing the connections to just one of the two speakers speakers in the consul although I haven't tried it.

The centre consul was intended to be used with a single mono speaker.

If you want to fit two speakers to get the best sound do so utilising the footwells or in a 2+2 the side panels in the rear wings.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#13 Re: Car radio

Post by caveman » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 pm

johnetype wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 am
If you fit two speakers in the centre console the way Richard and Joe have done you will loose a lot of bass as the two small speakers work against each other and cancel out the bass. Given that it's bass you desperately need to get a good tonal balance this is significant. However, you may find you can mitigate some of the loss by reversing the connections to just one of the two speakers speakers in the consul although I haven't tried it.
This topic is mentioned, and recommended, within ‘The Practical Car Radio Handbook’ from 1964. All models included and maybe a document to be included within the technical sections here David (Heuer) if it’s not already. Page 22 for Jaguar.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 0844062452
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#14 Re: Car radio

Post by mtnjag » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Typically out of phase speakers produce less bass not more.Pehaps the booklet, I took a look at it, states they should be “anti-phase” due to the radios in 64 being Mono?
Performance of the stereo speakers in athe same enclosure can be improved by using foam baffles of appropriate size.
The best way to improve your bass will be to place a powered sub-woofer somewhere in the car. They can be quite compact and in a FHC there would be many nooks to drop them in. An OTS not so much but could be done.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic