Page 1 of 1

#1 Spring Clip

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm
by Peter27
Hopefully an easy answer I am missing... . Consulted Service Manual and Haynes and both show in the exploded drawing of the oil filter assembly, a spring clip seemingly associated with the long central bolt which goes through the canister and oil filter element. When I removed my element there was no spring clip (or oil seal ring between the filter head and canister for that matter). I can't see an obvious place to fix this spring clip. Clues? Thanks.

Peter

#2 Re: Spring Clip

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm
by christopher storey
I think it will be an R clip which goes over the diameter of the central bolt to prevent the filter element moving up and down the central bolt

#3 Re: Spring Clip

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm
by Peter27
Hi Chris. Thanks for the suggestion, which was my first thought. It is more of a figure of 8 clip, although it would serve a similar purpose but I cannot see how it would prevent the element moving. The element is held one (outer) end by the spring, acting on the domed plate and on the engine end by being up against the filter main body. Still baffled!

#4 Re: Spring Clip

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:33 am
by mgcjag
Hi Peter the clip is not to stop the filter moveing.....you assemble all the parts onto the bolt (not the filter) then fit the clip onto the bolt........now none of the parts can fall off........now slide on tthe filter and fit....if you dont have a clip no real problem unless you pick up the unit and all the parts slide off the bolt......Steve

#5 Re: Spring Clip

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:46 am
by Peter27
Thanks Steve. Having thought about it over night, I thought this was probably the only logical solution but many thanks for confirming. Think I will leave it off as all seems fine without it.