Page 1 of 1

#1 A127 Alternator Conversion Advice

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:37 pm
by Retroman
Hi,

I have searched the site but cannot find the answer for my predicament.
I have fitted a A127 type alternator today.
No problem with fitting it but having connected the brown battery lead to terminal B+ , the AL lead to the small spade connector D, disconnecting the AL and WL leads from the 3AW unit and joining them together and pulling out the plug on the remote original 11AC to isolate it I have a big problem.
On attempting to reconnect the earth lead to the battery terminal it sparks and would weld/melt itself if left if connected!!
Clearly I am doing something seriously wrong!
Any ideas before I make a further attempt to fry the electrics.
Could it be the alternator or is it my incompetence.
All advice welcome.
I am sure I have seen some photos re this conversion somewhere but cannot find them on the forum.
I am connecting the earth lead to the correct battery terminal by the way.

:helpsos:

Nigel.

#2 Re: A127 Alternator Conversion Advice - Sorted

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 pm
by Retroman
Hi,

Twas a dud alternator with rubbish insulation on B+ causing it to ground.

Serves me right for buying a not so cheap £99 supposed high quality replacement.

To add salt to the wounds, having sort help from a local car electrical that I had forgotten about, they were able to supply me a genuine Lucas unit reconditioned with a 875 amp output which is working perfectly.

My upgraded heater and fan unit now actually work as I hoped they would with all the lights and HRW on.

I suppose the moral to the story is do not buy Taiwanese replacements in shiny boxes.

Nigel.

#3 Re: A127 Alternator Conversion Advice - Sorted

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:44 pm
by christopher storey
Retroman wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 pm
they were able to supply me a genuine Lucas unit reconditioned with a 875 amp output
Decimal point error ? Even then, I hope your wiring is considerably heavier than standard

#4 Re: A127 Alternator Conversion Advice

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:06 pm
by Retroman
Ah ha!

Fat finger syndrome strikes again.

That said the lights are a lot brighter.

:?: