Spinners not tightening.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Spinners not tightening.

Post by rswaffie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:01 pm

I’ve been reading the other posts on this subject as I have had a perplexing problem with refurbed AB spinners. I had a set of AB that came fitted with my 3.8. Last year I put a new set of MWS curly chromes on it but kept the original AB spinners. No probs. I also got a second set of AB spinners from eBay and had them refurbed and rechromed by Derby plating. I took the wheels of a few weeks ago to give them a clean and put on the refurbed spinners. They all seemed to go on ok but after 30 or so miles of driving, I started to notice a sort of thrumming noise like a chinook helicopter at certain speeds. It also occurred at low speeds. When checking the wheels, I could feel some slop on all wheels when gripping at 12 and 6 o’clock, so held them flat with my feet and gave them a few more whacks until tight. However, after more driving - same problem. I replaced them all with the original AB spinners and problem seems to have gone away.
Could the rechroming have altered the specs of the spinners causing all or some of them to not seat or not stay seated correctly?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by christopher storey » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:17 pm

Is this the newly rebuilt car ? If so, check to see that the hubs have not been put on the wrong side(s) because if they have the spinners will loosen with use ! This is by no means an unkown occurrence even with the professionals. The left hand wheels have a right hand thread to tighten, and the right hand wheels a left hand thread to tighten

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by mgcjag » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi Richard.....i cannot see that rechroming could alter the spinners....however i assume you never tried them prior to chroming.........are you sure they were a set of originals...weight etc..........is the depth of thread the same on the two set or are the "new" ones bottoming out...so no actually fully tightening.....as Christopher said above a friend did a full rebuild.....when it was finnished i noticed straight away that his hubs were on the wrong sides.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by abowie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 pm

christopher storey wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:17 pm
Is this the newly rebuilt car ? If so, check to see that the hubs have not been put on the wrong side(s)
What he said.

You can quickly check by ensuring that the spinner undoes in the clockwise direction on the driver's side of the car (RHD car).

Otherwise, for whatever reason, you'd have to assume that your new spinners aren't locking down.
Last edited by abowie on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks chaps. By way of an update...
The hubs are in the correct sides - I nearly made that mistake when rebuilding it!
I have taken another look at the refurbed spinners - they weigh 952,983,918,963 grams which seems ok?
They all have the 1466 LH AB or 1467 RH AB markings on the inner face. However, I noticed something odd about one of the LH spinners. As you can hopefully see in the pictures, one has the threads finishing with a gap before the inner face, as do the other two RH spinners. The other LH one seems to have the thread going all the way to the face?
A gap of about 4mm before the face:

No gap:

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:57 am

Looks like you got some factory rejects as the thread should go all the way down and that is likely the problem. Unfortunately they are scrap :cry:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#7 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:01 am

Bummer. I’ve got another set somewhere, I’ll have a look at those. Should have checked before getting them done :banghead: :cussing:
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by Gfhug » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 am

Ok, silly question, could the ends of the hubs have a few mm shaved off? Allowing the refurbed spinners to be used but without compromising strength, safety, etc?

Prepared to be shot down in flames if deserved.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#9 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:18 am

I saw that mentioned on another thread. I’d rather have the correct spinners than mess with the hubs.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#10 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:52 am

A further update - I had a look at 5 other spinners I had in the loft, all of which are ostensibly the correct AB pressings. 2 had threads all the way to the inner face, 1 had the thread finishing about 2mm from the face and the other 2 had a similar 4-5mm gap between thread and face.
It will be interesting to see what the current set are like that came with the car.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#11 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by abowie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Gfhug wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 am
Ok, silly question, could the ends of the hubs have a few mm shaved off?
Or you could machine the inside of the spinner.

Make a mandrel so you can set it up square in a 4 jaw chuck, bore out the bottom of the thread so that it can tighten down.

That should work and should be safe given that you're only going to need to take out a small amount of material.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#12 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Heuer wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:57 am
Looks like you got some factory rejects ....Unfortunately they are scrap :cry:
I highly doubt it. Some basic measurements and test fitting would be in order. I can’t believe ‘factory rejects’ of a safety-critical item - however defined - would escape the scrap bin other than with cosmetic blemishes. The spinners should never tighten fully onto the hub any more than acorn nuts do on head studs. There should always be sufficient unused female thread to avoid binding. Provided there is such a margin, the amount of same is moot.

A depth caliper would be my first checking tool.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#13 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by Heuer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Measurements of an original AB spinner:

Height - 38mm (1.5")
Diameter - 101.6mm (4")
Outer wall thickness - 6.5mm (1/4")
Inner wall thickness - 5.4mm (7/32")
Depth from top of wall to bottom of casting - 31.6mm (1 1/4")
Weight - 885gms (31oz)
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#14 Re: Spinners not tightening.

Post by JerryL770 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:16 am

I had this problem wondering whether my repro spinners were bottoming out on the hub thread.

Easy to check.

Tighten the spinner onto a wheel. Note its position and undo it keeping the wheel stationary. Count the turns till it comes off. Remove the wheel and refit the spinner. If it goes on a turn or 2 more before it bottoms on the thread, this is not the problem with wheel fitted.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic